TITANIC-TITANIC.com | Titanic Memorials: Womens Titanic Memorial, Washington D.C.

Titanic Womens MemorialLocation; Fort McNair, Washington D.C.

The statue here on the left is the Titanic Women's Memorial, and it was originally erected in Washington, D.C. in Rock Creek Park.

TO THE BRAVE MEN WHO PERISHED IN THE WRECK OF THE TITANIC APRIL 15TH 1912.
THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT WOMEN AND CHILDREN MAY BE SAVED.
ERECTED BY THE WOMEN OF AMERICA.

The statue was designed by Mrs. Gertrude Vanderbuilt Whitney, and depicts a partially-clad male figure, facing East. The face is said to resemble her brother, who coincidentally died on the Lusitania.

It was unveiled on 26th May 1931, some 19 years after the Titanic disaster, by Mrs. William Howard Taft, the wife of former President William H. Taft. Attending the unveiling ceremony were President Herbert Hoover and several key Cabinet members.

In 1966, some 54 years after the disaster, the statue had to be moved to make way for the John F. Kennedy School For The Performing Arts. It was dis-assembled and placed in storage for three years until being re-assembled in its new location near Fort McNair close to Haines Point.


View Larger Map

Related Reading: Titanic Memorials



Share |



Latest pages;


    Titanic Crew Living In Alison Grove Dulwich Common, London
    Robert P. Watson Books
    Robert John Hopkins - Updated
    J. Robert Di Fulgo Books
    Charlie Hudson Books
    Jonathan Mayo Books
    Bradford Matsen Books
    Richie Kohler Books
    Barbara Shriver Books
    Mac Smith Books

 

 

 

 

 

Jump To Top.