Captain Smith.

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

Re: Captain Smith.

Postby joshua » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Captain Smith was one of the most seasoned captains at that time. It's clear from what he did up the point of the sinking that he knew what to do. At 5:50 P.M. on April 14, he heeded the ice warnings and headed a more southerly direction to avoid the icebergs.
joshua

Postby VW1956 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

Hello. I over heard two "older" ladies who were sitting behind me at one of the lectures at last weekends Titanic convention. One said of Captain Smith "He was in a daze. He did nothing the whole night". Now I got the feeling that they had only just learnt this infomation. Surely not from some one at the convention. They then changed the subject to Bruce Ismay some thing about "That horrible man took the boats away". Ken.
VW1956

Captain Smith's wife's family

Postby Dootsonfamily » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi, I am new to this group so please excuse any lack of yet learnt forum etiquette or if indeed I am repeating something someone else has also asked (which in actual fact would be good!) However to cut the pre-amble, my family is related to the family of Sarah Eleanor Smith (nee Pennington). The families actually 'meet' through Sarah's mother, another Sarah (Pennington nee Dootson). It is from the Dootson family I descend. As far as I can work it out this makes Captain Smith wife, Sarah Eleanor - my great great grandfathers cousin, it also (I think) makes Helen Meville Smith a slightly closer relation, though I have never quite worked out the customary way to say it. I need a genealogist. However is there anyone with any information on Captain Smith wife family - and what happened to them after 1912? Any information, or tips how to take my questions forward very welcome.
Dootsonfamily

Postby VW1956 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Hello Dootsonfamily. All I know from memory about Captain Smiths wifes family is that his wife was killed by being knocked down by a taxi out side her home in the early 1930's. There are bound to be a lot more infomation on various web sites. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Dootsonfamily » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Any hints as to which websites would be greatly appreciated ... Though thanks for the snippet about her death, though I guess by the 1930's she would have been elderly.
Dootsonfamily

Postby Dave Gittins » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:48 am

Gary Cooper's book on Captain Smith doesn't mention the Dootsons. It mentions the Penningtons, but only those of Smith's time.

As mentioned, Sarah Eleanor Smith was killed on 28 April 1931, when she was hit by a taxi. Helen Melville Smith died on 18 August 1973. Her son, Simon, was killed in action on 23 March 1944. Her daughter, Priscilla, died on 7 October 1947. Captain Smith's line ended with them.

My advice in these cases is to work backwards from yourself, so that you start with known relatives. There's quite a lot online but much of it is not free.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby Dootsonfamily » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Thank you for those additional dates and info. Sarah Dootson married a Pennington, and thence the arrival of baby Sarah Eleanor Pennington. I have yet to read Coopers book - (it's on my post phd reading list! ). I presume Smith would have known mother in law, although I have yet to establish her date of death. The family tree I currently have was very simplified and done by someone else for the sake of an exhibition. However it is a start and put the pieces of the jigsaw together and the myth of being 'related' to captain smith I had known since a child, had some substance too it even if the relationship was through a marraige. However thanks for the bits of info, post phd, I can see I really will have to do some digging.
Dootsonfamily

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 am

Hello.

Any hints as to which websites would be greatly appreciated ...

There is another website I am member of,I just can't remember the name ( Enchanted Titanic/Titanica)? Its something on those lines. I sign up and posted on it two years ago getting a response from Smith's relative that spoke about her family and how she is related to Smith. I am sorry I can not remember the conversation and the major details. It's not the one I linked but it is out there on the net, it is run by Smith's relative' a lady descendant of Captain Smiths.

What we are looking for is interesting storys about the Persons on the Titanic, about the Titanic herself, or family history of the people related to someone on the Titanic.

http://rms.enchantedtitanic.com/childre ... e-titanic/

Edit- The one I linked its the one I was referring about. She change the format of her forum.

Lady Kathleen is Smith's descendant.

http://enchantedfamily.com/
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby Dave Gittins » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:45 am

Let's stick to facts and ignore fantasies.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby Dootsonfamily » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 pm

I did have a very quick look at the site and it does seem to have quite a few 'I imagines' in which does make it hard to know what is fact or not. However under the 'notes' on captain smith it does mention quite a few of the penningtons. But also interestingly it makes mention of the census of the place ''Newton in makkerfeld' - now the modern day Newton-in-the-willows. That does hold significance as some of my grandmothers family still live in Newton the willows - which would support the fact I probably have the right Pennington's. I can at least pull the possible names from that site and see what fits. And be aware that looking i may need to look for the alternate place name to0. So even if the site is not totally factual, just the small mention of that place name is interesting to see, so thank you to the person who posted it.
Dootsonfamily

Postby Aly Jones » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 pm

At the age of captain Smith, would he been on medication? I do know, the majority of people in thier 40's, 50's , 60's + are on all sorts of tablets... (It's just daily life for mature age peoples) was Smith a fit man? In 1911 film when Smith was filmed on the Olympic bridge, he seemed good for his age. Ect.. Stepping on the bridge wing and appearing out, walking perfectly normal, no walking stick, no specticules, he seemed to be in good health for his age. His eyesite must had been good because he would had to retire like Herman Pittman did so due to poor eyesite.

We are talking about an 63 year old man, he seemed to have no medical problems at his age? That's rare! I'm 31 and I am on some meds.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby shipbuilder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

Aly,
I can't think of any reason why Captain Smith should have been on medication. You must remember that in 1912, the average person's life-expectancy was far greater than it is now (not counting the chances of getting killed by war or accident). The only polution they had was from smoke, and those who went to sea generally escaped that. I know that today, the politicians keep saying that people are living longer than ever, but the evidence does not hold up. Lots of awful things are on the increase, to say nothing of obesity, alcohol, drugs, food additives, pesticedes, obnoxious chemicals in everything. We have more polution than ever, but it is invisible. The only persons who have reached 100 years of age were born in 1912, or earlier! I think I am one of the very few who have noticed this. I am almost 69 and not on any pills, same with my wife. Hardly anyone at sea was on pills or medication.
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby VW1956 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

shipbuilder wrote: The only persons who have reached 100 years of age were born in 1912, or earlier!
Bob

Hello Bob. People born in 1912 or earlier would be 100 years old because that was 100 years ago. There are no people 100 years old born in the 1930's because that was only 80 years ago. You seem to have not been on here so much. I guess you been building those fabulous models.

Hello Aly. I'm 63 and am not on any meds although I do have vitimins which apparently do good stuff. Ken.
VW1956

Postby shipbuilder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Ken,

Yes, I take vitamins as well, but voluntarily! :)

Regarding life expectancy. You will find that it has now peaked and is in a decline. It is well-known that childhood illnesses are on the increase and obesity is also helping to shorten life, to say nothing of the stresses that modern schoolchildren have to deal with.

Bob

PS. Not been around here much of late because I can't maintain any great interest in the subject for very long! :oops: I really find the rest of the Merchant Navy to be generally more interesting as a subject for study, and at present am involved with sailing ship history & models.
shipbuilder

Postby Carpathia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:57 am

I know Captain Smith was going to retire following the completion of Titanic's maiden voyage. IIRC, Captain Smith was British.

Had Titanic docked in New York without incident, would Captain Smith have served as Captain on the return voyage or would he have just deadheaded back as a passenger?
Carpathia

PreviousNext

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers