TITANIC

Discuss and display your Titanic models here.

TITANIC

Postby shipbuilder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am

This is my 17-inch-long model of the TITANIC that I built some time ago. Virtually all static model shipbuilding in the UK is now from kits, the simple skills of making everything yourself being lost or abandoned years ago by most modellers. I am a bit of a dinosaur in this respect and find kits far too large and expensive to even consider. The hull is made from obeche wood. The accommodation is also obeche faced with white plasticard. The funnels and masts are brass. The rigging is all fine copper wire. The total building costs only amounted to a few pounds, most of the expense being in the acrylic for the display case and the glue.
Attachments
Titanic (Medium).JPG
Titanic 50 ft to 1 in
Titanic (Medium).JPG (36.6 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
shipbuilder

Re: TITANIC

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 am

Another stunning model from the forum's in-house scratch builder!

Do you have any photographs taken during the models progress?
All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Postby shipbuilder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks. No, afraid not. I built it quite a long time ago before the digital camera came into common use. These days, I keep a photographic record of everything I build from the lump of wood to the completed model.
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby Rose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am

It's beautiful :D
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.
Rose

Postby pat toms » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 pm

A very good model I wish i could do this,i have got a model that was given to me by bob prior,who is now the president of the (BTS) when I went on a visit to ramsgate,for me and the Shannon Ulster titanic society,however any models which i have or have seen i am afraid i cannot put on the web as photos because my skills with the computer are very limited,another skill which i need,however once again well done all model makers.
pat toms

Postby TitanicNut86 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:27 am

That is indeed a beautiful model of the RMS Titanic. Glad that you have a case for it. Keep it well and when you have youngsters around. Keep it out of their reach.
Ice is great for drinks but not for people to step on or ships to run over.
latitude 41° 43' 32" North, longitude 49° 56' 49" West.
TitanicNut86

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks,
They would never last very long without cases, because children especially can't keep their hands off anything!
Anyway, I haven't got it anymore, it went years ago and it is unlikely I will ever build another. I really prefer to model more obscure ships and range between small coasters, cargo ships, tankers, small and large passenger liners, iron & steel square-riggers etc etc., but there is so little interest these days that I am tending to slow down.

Looking in the Maritime Matters section, in my thread "Once Upon a Time," here are the viewing numbers for the three models pictured:
Passenger liner TITANIC - 36
Passenger liner KENYA - 13
Sailing ship ARETHUSA - 4

Says it all, really!

I would put more pictures of models on if the interest were greater - but it isn't - sad but true!

Bob
shipbuilder

Postby Matuatay » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Bob, did you not have this model posted on TRMA some time ago? I know I've seen it somehere before.

Anyway, fantastic build and the water especially impresses me. I don't have the skill to create a convincing ocean surface and truly admire those who do.
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:51 pm

I don't know. I have no idea what TRMA means!
The sea is plasticine. It is shaped with a special and very simple tool that I made and is very simple to use as well, but the sea itself was painted by my wife using Humbrol gloss enamel.

The sea is the least problem in making these models!

Bob
shipbuilder

Postby TitanicNut86 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 pm

shipbuilder wrote:I don't know. I have no idea what TRMA means!
The sea is plasticine. It is shaped with a special and very simple tool that I made and is very simple to use as well, but the sea itself was painted by my wife using Humbrol gloss enamel.

The sea is the least problem in making these models!

Bob

TRMA is Titanic Research Modeling Association. And the web site to the place is going to be PM'd to you.

Cheers
Ice is great for drinks but not for people to step on or ships to run over.
latitude 41° 43' 32" North, longitude 49° 56' 49" West.
TitanicNut86

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for reply & PM. I don't remember seeing it before and certainly can't recall sending them a picture of the model, but one may have found its way there by other means. I also did a model of the forward part of the wreck some years ago.
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby pat toms » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:03 am

The model that I have is from Bob Prior which he gave me when I visited him in Ramsgate, Kent some years ago. I treasure this model, it is boxed and in good condition, I am thinking of holding an exhibition of models of ships, and also of course Titanic models. I should like to thank him for donating this model to me and the Shannon Ulster Titanic Society.
pat toms

Postby pat toms » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Further to my Titanic model exhibition I did hold an exhibition in the Marine Court Hotel, not too long ago and another one later, but did not get any response, in spite of advertising it in the local Bangor Spectator here in Co. Down,and also putting leaflets about town, it seems that meetings and exhibitions about Titanic has been played out in Bangor, however I quite liked it, and it was not a waste of time as I was able to look at the models and catch up on some study.
pat toms

Return to Titanic Modelling