My Latest Model Ship

Discuss and display your Titanic models here.

My Latest Model Ship

Postby shipbuilder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Amarna, of the Moss Hutchison Line, completed in 1949, by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow. Model completed a few days ago, entirely hand built from wood, brass, copper, plastic and wire. 20'=1" - hull length 18 inches overall. NOT A KIT!
Bob
Attachments
45 Complete (Large).JPG
Amarna
45 Complete (Large).JPG (85.3 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
shipbuilder

Re: My Latest Model Ship

Postby shipbuilder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I wondered where this post had gone, I thought I put it in Maritime Matters! :D
Rather smaller than TITANIC - about 4,000 tons!
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby MAB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

shipbuilder wrote:I thought I put it in Maritime Matters! :D
You did. It was moved here because, even though not a Titanic model, it is a model and "Maritime Matters" is more about real-world stuff.
MAB

Postby shipbuilder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

OK, thanks. As long as non-TITANIC models are OK here, this is where I will put them from now on!
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby VW1956 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello Bob. I seem to keep saying it but what an incredible model. I am looking at it trying to find something that gives it away as a model (besides the pen that is). It is so detailed for an 18" ship. What do you use for the radio ariel wires and how do you manage to make those hand rails at the bow? If it's a trade secret then I will just have to remain puzzeled as to how you do it. Ken.
VW1956

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks Ken,
All the rigging, including the aerial is fine copper wire. Much easier than it sounds. I take a length of wire in two small pairs of pliers and stretch it slightly. This makes it perfectly straight. Pick it up in the centre with tweezers, dip each end in glue and place it in position - no knots - no messing about - very simple and effective!

The rails are tinned copper wire wound on a frame. Then it is painted with liquid soldering flux and a soldering iron with a small amount of solder on it run quickly across the crossovers. Then cut from the frame and spray painted white.

Again quite simple. But a lot of people just say "I could never do that" and there the matter ends - talked themselves out of it. The few who do give it a try usually find it quite easy!

Tha Amarna was rather too large for me. I prefer smaller scales such as 25'=1" or 32'=1" like the tea clippr Norman Court (attached)

Bob
Attachments
19  Norman Court (Large).JPG
Norman Court, 32'=1"
19 Norman Court (Large).JPG (122.48 KiB) Viewed 6570 times
shipbuilder

Return to Titanic Modelling