Angry Letter By Harold Bride (1936)

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

Re: Angry Letter By Harold Bride (1936)

Postby VW1956 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Hello Aly. He did it to cause controversy but as Bob points out Lightoller probably didn't actually write the book but used a ghost writer. This is one of the many books I have but have not yet gotten around to reading but getting the area of "The Roaring Forties" wrong means to me that a non mariner wrote the book. But Lightoller must have read it before it went into print to make sure evrything was ok. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Aaron2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Lightoller mentioned Phillips again in his radio broadcast in November 1936. Lightoller spoke to Phillips on the collapsible boat moments before he died.

Lightoller said:

"The senior wireless operator was standing just behind me......It was then that I first heard of the Mesaba message. When I said I didn't remember it. He told me that he put it under a paper weight at his elbow and never sent it to the bridge."

I think Lightoller did not bring this up at the Titanic Inquiry because it would damage the company's reputation. The survivors in the collapsible boat had to stay awake or else they would die. They punched each other and tried to talk as much as they could, just to stay awake. Lightoller would realize that Phillips was dying and he would try to keep him talking, and I think that is when Phillips mentioned the Mesaba message.

Aaron2010

Postby joshua » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 pm

George Behe proved on his website that Jack Phillips was never on Collapsible B. All the survivors (Gracie, Lightoller, and Bride) aside from possibly Whiteley said immediately afterwards that Phillips was not on Collapsible B and the story of him being on Collapsible B came out years afterwards.
joshua

Postby Aaron2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Harold Bride told the Titanic Inquiry how Phillips died. He said:

"I heard afterwards that the senior operator was on board (the collapsible)."

Q - Do you know whether he died going from the Titanic to the Carpathia?
A - He died on the way; yes. He died on board the upturned boat.

Q - What became of his body?
A - As far as I know, it was taken on board the Carpathia and buried from the Carpathia.

Q - Buried at sea?
A - Buried from the Carpathia.

Aaron2010

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Aaron2010 wrote:Harold Bride told the Titanic Inquiry how Phillips died. He said:

"I heard afterwards that the senior operator was on board (the collapsible)."

Q - Do you know whether he died going from the Titanic to the Carpathia?
A - He died on the way; yes. He died on board the upturned boat.

Q - What became of his body?
A - As far as I know, it was taken on board the Carpathia and buried from the Carpathia.

Q - Buried at sea?
A - Buried from the Carpathia.

The only problem with that is, that none of the 5 who were buried at sea from Carpathia was Phillips.
If I see it right the 5 were; Siebert, Hoyt, Lindell, Lyons and an unidentified firemen.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Aaron2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Lightoller mentioned Phillips during the Titanic Inquiry:

"There were two or three that died. I think there were three or four who died during the night."

Q - Aboard this boat with you?
A - Yes, sir; I think the senior Marconi operator was on the boat and died. The Marconi junior operator told me that the senior was on this boat and died.

Q - From the cold?
A - Presumably.

Archibald Gracie mentioned Phillips in his book. He said it was not Phillips' body that was transferred to the Carpathia. Lightoller said a number of men had died on the boat. Maybe one of them was Phillips and his body rolled off. They found the collapsible boat weeks later and there were 3 bodies on it. The bodies were too decomposed to identify and they were quickly buried at sea. Maybe one of those was Phillips?

Last edited by Aaron2010 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron2010

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Aaron2010 wrote:Archibald Gracie mentioned Phillips in his book. He said it was not Phillips's body that was transferred to the Carpathia. Lightoller said a number of men had died on the boat. Maybe one of them was Phillips and his body rolled off.

That is possible.

Aaron2010 wrote:They found the collapsible boat weeks later and there were 3 bodies on it. The bodies were too decomposed to identify and they were quickly buried at sea. Maybe one of those was Phillips?

The three bodies were on boat A which were left there by Lowe and discovered later by the Oceanic. Boat B was found by the Mackay-Bennett and no bodies on it. (Would have been difficult on an upside down boat).
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby joshua » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm

This is pretty convincing evidence that he was not on Collapsible B:

http://home.comcast.net/~georgebehe/titanic/Page13.htm
joshua

Postby Aaron2010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Lightoller said he spoke to Phillips on the collapsible before he died. He mentioned it in his 1934 book and again in his 1936 radio broadcast.

Bride said in his personal account:

"I was all alone when a hand reached out from the boat and pulled me aboard. It was our same collapsible boat and the same crowd was on it. There was just room for me to roll on the edge. I lay there not caring what happened. Somebody sat on my legs. They were wedged in between the slats, and were being wrenched. I hadn't the heart left to ask the man to move. There was a terrible sight all around; men swimming and sinking everywhere. I saw some lights off in the distance, and knew a steamship was coming to our aid. I didn't care what happened. I just lay and gasped when I could, and felt the pain in my feet. I feel it still. At last the Carpathia was alongside, and the people were being taken up a rope ladder. Our boat drew near, and one by one the men were taken off of it. One man was dead. I passed him, and went to a ladder, although my feet pained me terribly. The dead man was Phillips. He died on the raft from exposure and cold. I guess he had been all in from work before the wreck came. He stood his ground until the crisis passed and then collapsed. But I hardly thought of that then; I didn't think much about anything. I tried the rope ladder. My feet pained me terribly, but I got to the top, and felt hands reaching out to me. The next I know a woman was leaning over me in a cabin, and I felt her hand waving in my hair and rubbing my face."

His full account can be found at: http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/statement-harold-bride.html

Last edited by Aaron2010 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron2010

Postby VW1956 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello. I had always accepted that Phillips was on the upturned boat but died during the night. Why would they keep a dead person on the boat. Surely it would be better (even though it now sounds terrible) to get the body off of the boat. But then it seems there were other people that had died on the upturned boat that night that did make it to the Carpathia. As for the interview that Lightoller did. I am sure that I read on this site that that also may not have been Lightollers voice. Ken.
VW1956

Previous

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers