April 1914 - Titanic Survivors In Court Again

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

April 1914 - Titanic Survivors In Court Again

Postby Aaron2010 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I just spotted this in a newspaper. A steamer ran aground in a heavy gale in 1914. Two Titanic survivors were on the salvage vessel that was ordered to recover and re-float the striken ship. But both men refused to go and were taken to court.

dorothea4.jpg

dorothea3.jpg
dorothea3.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

Ironically the two men had appeared in court before. Mr. George McGough had killed a man in 1900 and Mr. William Weller tried to obtain a month's worth of wages after the Olympic/Hawke accident.

McGough-Weller.jpg
McGough-Weller.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

From the Western Gazette - 10th April 1914

Proceedings under the Merchants' Shipping Act

Two able seamen McGough and William Weller, who it may be stated are survivors of the ill-fated Titanic, were brought up at the Borough Police court on Tuesday on remand from the previous day, charged under the Merchants' Shipping Act with refusing to obey the lawful commands of Captain Charles A.P. Gardiner, of the S.S. Lyons, the salvage vessel now lying in the Weymouth Harbour, which has been commissioned for the purpose of re-floating the S.S. Dorothea, now lying stranded on the Abbotsbury beach.

Mr. A. Pengilly, who appeared for the prosecution, asked leave to withdraw the charges, as an agreement had been come to between the Captain and the men. He did not think that the terms of the agreement need be gone into further than for him to say that they were satisfactory to both parties.

Mr. Stevens (from the bench): I understand that these men are survivors of the Titanic?

Mr. Pengilly: That is so.

Mr. Stevens: Both of them?

Defendants: Yes, sir.

By consent the charges were withdrawn and the men discharged.

dorothea2.jpg

It took two years to finally pull the Dorothea free. A short time later she struck a mine and sank.

Last edited by Aaron2010 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron2010

Re: April 1914 - Titanic Survivors In Court Again

Postby Gail » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Fascinating piece of history, Aaron. Thanks for sharing.
Gail

Postby Aly Jones » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Mr. Stevens (from the bench): I understand that these men are survivors of the Titanic?

Mr. Pengilly: That is so.

Mr. Stevens: Both of them?

Defendants: Yes, sir.

By consent the charges were withdrawn and the men discharged.

Were the men discharge because they survived the Titanic disaster or because of this-
Mr. A. Pengilly, who appeared for the prosecution, asked leave to withdraw the charges, as an agreement had been come to between the Captain and the men. He did not think that the terms of the agreement need be gone into further than for him to say that they were satisfactory to both parties.

"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 am

Hello. I wonder how dangerous it was to try to recover the vessel on the beach. I cant figure out why they would have refused to help. Maybe the memories of that night on Titanic was still fresh in there minds but then why still be at sea? Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers