Who would you follow?

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

Who would you follow?

Postby North 52 West » Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Howdy folks,
In a similar vein to the "what would you do differently" topic imagine this. You can go back & follow without giving any infomation any Titanic crew member. You merely follow them around that night & see what they see & do. So who would you follow & why?
I'd follow Murdoch around, he was OOW at the time of the iceberg & besides, I'd like to be able to answer his possible suicide question
:D Kaz :D
Oh hear us when we cry to thee, for those in peril on the sea
North 52 West

Re: Who would you follow?

Postby Aly Jones » Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 pm

My heart says Moody and Wilde but my brain is telling me to fellow either officer Lowe, Pittman, Boxhall, Lightoller; because they had survived by lifeboat. I wouldn't mind being on the bridge Inbetween Moody and Hichens, naughty girl I am LOL, plus you get to see what,how,when ect...on the bridge, what time the phone rang, when the bells rang, and how far the berg was to the Titanic when first spotted.

I love your thread, it's a new idea and topic'
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby SOSTITANIC » Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I would have followed Fleet and Lee. I have always wondered if they and the other lookouts groused about the lack of glasses amongst themselves. There just had to be times when they thought that as the lookouts they were the eyes of the ship in the distance and resented the bridge keeping the only ones. ~Joyce~
SOSTITANIC

Postby pat toms » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Lightoller,Would be the man I would follow,he was a leader by example.Pat
pat toms

Postby Aly Jones » Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 am

Joyce and I had the same Idea.

That's a good one, Pat. You can find out, If everything that Lightoller told during the enquires, match up on that night.
Aly Jones

Postby pat toms » Sat May 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Aly Jones,the only problem is I would find it difficult to keep my balance on the extra boat which was upside down.Pat
pat toms

Postby Gail » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Moody or Phillips would be my choice.
Gail

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Smith or Andrews.

Not sure about any glasses business mentioned. I think a better vantage was had on the bridge or bow that night - the men in the crows nest would be looking down and out as opposed to across. The crow's nest vantage might hide such a berg; unless seen a great way off less time to spot, less or no stars to see it against, etc. Not so on the bridge I think. My .02. Besides, the salts on here will probably say glasses are generally only used to identify, not find. At night? I really dunno...

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby Gail » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Besides, the salts on here will probably say glasses are generally only used to identify, not find. At night?

That's what I've always heard, Eric.

Here is Lightoller's testimony at the British Inquiry:

13684. Supposing anybody's duty is to look out for ice at night what is your view as to the usefulness of glasses?
- With regard to picking up ice?

13685. Yes?
- It is rather difficult to say. I never have picked up ice at nighttime with glasses, so it is really difficult for me to say.

13686. (The Commissioner.) What were you using them for on the bridge?
- To assist me in keeping a look-out.

13687. Then you were using them; you were looking out for ice?
- I was looking out for ice.

13688. And you were using the glasses?
- Occasionally I would raise the glasses to my eyes and look ahead to see if I could see anything, using both glasses and my eyes.

13689. The question I understand is this: Do the glasses help you to detect ice?
- Well I should naturally think so, My Lord.

And George Hogg's testimony at the British Inquiry:

17518. Do you mean you believe in your own eyesight better than you do the glasses?
- Yes.

17519. It is suggested - I only want to know how far you agree with it - that it is easier, or just as easy, to pick up an object that you may see on the horizon with your own eyesight as it would be with the glasses?
- You might not see the object, but if you think it is a ship you might just see the smoke.

17520. With your own sight?
- Yes, with your own sight. You would not see the ship first; you would see the smoke first.

17521. Would you see it any better with glasses?
- You would put the glasses up to your eyes then and make sure.

17522. What it comes to, if I understand that, is you pick it up with your eyesight, and then if you want to see as well as you can what it is you would use the glasses?
- That is what they are handy for, Sir.

17523. But not for picking up things, you mean?
- No, I pick up things with my own eyesight.

17524. I should like to know what your experience is in the use of these glasses. Is that what the rest of the men who were on the look-out with you have done? Is that the way the glasses are used - when you have picked up an object to look closer?
- I could not say; I am speaking for myself. I do not know what they did with the glasses.
Gail

Postby Michael H. Standart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:14 am

I'd follow the guys who got out alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michael H. Standart

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 am

Even binoculars are not a certain.

IF I was a male passenger, I would hang around an officer that allows men into the lifeboats early. Though, nobody knew, at that time, Titanic would sink. So I would probably stay with my mates.

Being female, I would be herded into an lifeboat early on. If I was a female 3rd class passenger, I would be very panicky, I would try to be one of the first 3rd class passengers out on the boat-deck. Surly 3rd class passengers knew, that there were gates to allow the two top classes have first priority into the lifeboats.
Aly Jones

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers