Did any officers commit suicide? Who?

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

Re: Did any officers commit suicide? Who?

Postby Aly Jones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 am

Beside the several accounts by non real survivors like that of Quartermaster Moody!
In some cases there is also only a statement that an officer or the chief officer (no name) shot himself.

That integrates with my comment of-
Even after the disaster, survivors did not really know the officers names.

I know what you mean. One passenger called Officer Moody 'Melopy' she had no-idea what his last name was etc... how she recalled- Moody 'Melopy' handing her the infant and stating 'look after this for me' love, dear, something on the lines of that. Why do passengers feel the need to guess?

However, the only 2 who were still on board the ship in the final hours and could have observed an suicide were 1st class passenger Rheims and 3rd class passenger Daily. It is stated that both had witness the same incident at the same time. But looking carefully about how they describe it and what they did after it, did not really match.

That's what I wish to find out more. Just a little, you don't need to type it all out because that would be too time consuming. Thank you.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 am

Aly Jones wrote: Why do passengers feel the need to guess?

Hello. Maybe they feel by guessing it will make them more important somehow. That if any more information is needed then the press or Harland and Wolff will come back to them as they seem to know what happened. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Gail » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Aly Jones wrote:I know what you mean. One passenger called Officer Moody 'Melopy' she had no-idea what his last name was etc... how she recalled- Moody 'Melopy' handing her the infant and stating 'look after this for me' love, dear,

In Violet Jessop's biography she recounted a story much like this. Only she mistakenly said Moody's name was Mason. In the notes John Maxtone-Graham(?) said this Mason was most likely Moody.

Edit: In the aftermath of the disaster wasn't there a mistake about Moody's name? They said a Pellody had died in the sinking, but the Moody family didn't make the connection between James Moody and James Pellody. It was a case of "misreading" Moody's name, I had once read. In a way I can see how:
Attachments
Untitled.png
James "Pellody"
Gail

Postby Aly Jones » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

Yes that is it. Yeah Manson was another name mistake. How James signed his name does look like Pelloody not Moody.

Still, should had been some kind of evidence, such as, were there any officers bodies with evidence of being shot?
Highly unlikely- no officers bodies were found. We will never know?

Ken, true. Passengers trying to be centre of the disaster. We seen with CC disaster many passengers want to be interviewed making them seen by the public.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Previous

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers