Captain Smith.

Discuss Titanic's Crew and Officers here.

Captain Smith.

Postby VW1956 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello. In the very well known picture showing Captain Smith looking down from the bridge wing cab I have always thought it to be a Father Brown picture. But in "Pictures of Titanic" it says the image was captured by Dr William Mclean. The image is in Father Browns photo album. So did he lend his camera to Dr William Mclean? Ken.
VW1956

Re: Captain Smith.

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:18 pm

That image was taken by McLean himself. Father Browne was still on board Titanic at that time. McLean had his own camera and took some images. Browne got copy of the images which he put in his album with the additional note that they were taken by McLean.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby VW1956 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Hello Ioannis. Thanks for that. I was a bit puzzeled. I do have the book showing all of Franis Brownes photos and just underneath the picture in question has been written Mcl. I guess the only reason we have seen this picture is because Francis Browne had a copy which makes me wonder what happened to Mcleans other photos he took? Ken.
VW1956

Postby pat toms » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Ken,I would suspect that Father Brown was an honest man and included the photo taken by someone else and gave credt to the person who took it which is a very honest and proper thing to do in the circumstances.
pat toms

Postby MusicMan241 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:10 am

Is it possible to get a record of Smith's service with the WSL? Like the ships he sailed over his career and whatnot.
Corey
Amateur Titanic Historian

Beauty and luxury has never been seen until you've seen the Titanic.
MusicMan241

Postby VW1956 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:11 am

Hello MusicMan241. If you cant find what you need on here them Wikipedia is a good place to go. But come back here soon. Ken.
VW1956

Postby MAB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:00 pm

MusicMan241 wrote:Is it possible to get a record of Smith's service with the WSL? Like the ships he sailed over his career and whatnot.
Gary Cooper, author of several biographies of Smith, posted a message on ET's message board a few years ago with Smith's service history, and Charlie Haas's 1989 recitation of the same history is on ET's main site.
MAB

Captain Smith.

Postby VW1956 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello. How up to date would Captain Smith have been about the amount of ice heading South? I assume there would have been an office in Southampton where such news was shared between the different lines using the Atlantic. But would Captain Smith have known why there was so much more ice than normal? Ken.
VW1956

Postby joshua » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 am

Unless told by the ships ahead, I doubt it.
joshua

Postby VW1956 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:47 am

Hello Joshua. Thanks for reply. What I meant was there was a lot more ice heading South in 1912 because it had been a warmer summer in 1911. I am sure Captain Smith would have known it was a warmer summer as he would have been in it but did he or other people know that a warmer summer means bigger and more pieces of ice breaking off and heading South the next year. Ken.
VW1956

Postby pat toms » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Joshua,A good answer about the ice remark,in 1957 when immigrating to Canada on the Empress of france of the Canadian Pacific,line,there was a lot of ice with icebergs bigger that the ship itself,on board the ship were immigrants as well as myself,one chap was sick all the way over and we got through the bergs without mishaps,then a storm blew up delayng arrival in montreal,which meant we spent an extra night while docked,on the ship.The ship was earmarked to sail so the captain who was employed to take us there just did it,fortunately the icebergs were seen during the day which must have helped us to avoid the icebergs,rather than the night like the titanic.
pat toms

Postby pat toms » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Mab,interesting about captain Smith who always seems to be the main character,in the Titanic story,and his comment that nothing very out of the ordinary happened in his sea going job,I always thought it was a modest answer,or words to that effect
pat toms

How good was Captain Smith?

Postby New Sailor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Hello- am sort of new to this so apologies.

Nay be difficult to answer but just how good a captain was Smith? Were his methods and proceedures from a technical perspective (the turns to port etc, reversal) the best course of action? Obviously he had a lot of experience, but did he command the best technique he could have in the time he had available?

Thanks.
New Sailor

Re: How good was Captain Smith?

Postby Aly Jones » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 am

New Sailor wrote:Hello- am sort of new to this so apologies.

Nay be difficult to answer but just how good a captain was Smith? Were his methods and proceedures from a technical perspective (the turns to port etc, reversal) the best course of action? Obviously he had a lot of experience, but did he command the best technique he could have in the time he had available?

Thanks.

Hello,

It turns out that Captain Smith was just doing the norm of that day' all Captains did act in the same matter. The other captains even testified in the defense of Smith at the US and British enquirers that Smith were not doing any wrong. I personalty felt Smith should had slowed down a little after all those berg warnings but however' most captains In Smith times did that exact thing. keep on sailing until Ice is sighted! To me that is dangerous but back then it was seen as normal.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello New Sailor. You ask if Captain Smith command the best technique he could have in the time available. If you meant did he do the best at the time Titanic hit the iceberg then , no he didn't as all the very important decisions had been made by then. But had he been on the bridge at that time then yes I am sure he would have done his best which would have been the same as what actually happened. Ken.
VW1956

Next

Return to Titanic Crew and Officers