Matt's 1/350 Minicraft Titanic Model

Matt's 1/350 Minicraft Titanic Model

Postby Matuatay » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Hello all.

Just thought I'd show my model again and hopefully encourage others to show off theirs.

While definitely not museum quality, I'm proud of her. 8-)
Matt.
Matuatay

Re: Matt's 1/350 Minicraft Titanic Model

Postby Rose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm

It's beautiful, well done. :D
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.
Rose

Postby TitanicNut86 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:29 am

Good clean work. Very beautiful and evidence of a steady hand. Would like to see more models produced from you and a possible scratch build.
Ice is great for drinks but not for people to step on or ships to run over.
latitude 41° 43' 32" North, longitude 49° 56' 49" West.
TitanicNut86

Postby Matuatay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:10 am

Thank you both very much. I do plan to start work on a new 1/350th Britannic conversion some time in the not-too-distant future, then an Olympic following that. I doubt I'll ever go into scratch building because I simply don't have the time, money, or expertise that would be required.
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby pat toms » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 am

Once again I marvel at the skills of the model makers and wish that I had the skills and patience to build one,I must thank Dave Davis of Essex England one of our members for sending me a model made in Italy which he said was easy to construct,it has an electric engine and can float,and would if i could have built it but sadly I made a mess of it,something like the Titanic built nearly right but not Quite right,as some people seem to think.
pat toms

Postby SwiftIntruder » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 am

Matt,
That is an awesome job! Your color selection is right on.

-Jim
SwiftIntruder

Postby Matuatay » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 am

Thank you, Swift.

I tried to stick as close as possible to accepted history when it comes to the colors. The Titanic Research & Modelling Association was extremely helpful in this area as the kit instructions will lead you astray with some of their color suggestions. Now I'm really itching to get started on my next project; HMHS Britannic.
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby Matuatay » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Pat, if you have the patience, then the skill will come in time. To be honest, I don't have that much skill. My paint job on certain parts (look at the weather cover over the Grand Staircase dome!) leaves a lot to be desired. The trick to it is to just take your time, and enjoy doing what you can do. Nobody ever said these models have to be absolutely perfect in every way. If you think you would enjoy building one, go for it! Don't worry about it being superior/inferior to someone elses work. That line of thought will take all the fun out of it! :)
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby SwiftIntruder » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Pat,
I am with Matt on this as well; it's all about enjoying what you are doing. Don't be so concerned about what you think other people will think in regards to your model making skills - every person who is building, or has built a model on this forum, started somewhere and probably went through the same thoughts as you. If I compared my current build with some of the scratch built models I have seen while conducting my research, I would have thrown Titanic in the trash a long time ago. But you press on and make corrections to the best of your ability and be pleased by what you are creating - and you will be.

Jim
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
SwiftIntruder

Postby pat toms » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Jim there is hope that someday i will accomplish this task,thankyou for your interest.
pat toms

Postby DecoJim » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Matt:
First of all that is a very good build of the 1:350 Titanic. Not only that, I have the same kit but unlike me, you actually finished it. I got to a certain point (about 90% finished and I could not decide whether to proceed with the standard detail parts or to purchase the Gold Medal Models laser etched brass railings set (about $50).

To make the Olympic and Britannic, are you "kitbashing" the model (making the modifications from scratch) or are there after-marked conversion kits?
Thanks.
-Jim
DecoJim

Postby Matuatay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:46 am

Jim, I'm waiting to see when the conversion sets for Olympic/Britannic come available and the cost. I would much prefer to scratch build the pieces myself out of plastic, but the detailing this demands takes exceptional skill that I simply don't possess.

For instance, here is a Britannic conversion I made several years ago and you'll see what I'm talking about when I say I don't have great skill in just "creating" these parts from scratch. Especially look at the gantry davits, which are nothing more than the keel pieces from a 1/350th Titanic kit that have been cut up and heated to bend at the top.

Thank God my modelling skills have somewhat improved in the years since making this model. :?

So, long story short, I'll probably hold out as long as I can to get the professionally made brass conversion sets, but the itch to build another model is getting so that I might just chance scratch building again. If you're interested, I'll try to find information on who's going to be making the conversion sets and get back to you.
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby Adolfin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Hello Matt,

Very clear, clean and accurate model.
Mine is of the same scale, has lot of details but is not that clean at the end as space to work on is small.
Please check my model and comment:

Video youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4W4xIy7KRg
Video youtube – Vintage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCH-zG8l8JU
Presentación video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FghxTxXoUdQ

Keep on being so clean and try to add as much details as possible in order to enhance your model as much as possible.
There a lots of tricks and tips in the net and a lot of brass details which make the model more real.
In any case, congratulations for such clean work.

Awaiting your comments.

Adolfo
Attachments
Titanic Minicraft Deluxe 1 (20).JPG
Titanic Minicraft Deluxe 1 (5).JPG
Adolfin

Return to Minicraft Titanic Models