Royalty on Titanic.

Discuss Titanic Passengers here.

Royalty on Titanic.

Postby VW1956 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Hello. It has always amazed me that the very rich and famous who were on Titanic's maiden voyage were denied a place in a lifeboat. People such as J J Astor who could have more than likely bought the whole White Star Line just accepted the fact that they would perish and stood back from the lifeboats. But what would have happened if there had been royalty on board that fateful trip? Just suppose England's King and Queen (George V and Queen Mary) were on board. Obviously there would have been a space in the lifeboats for Queen Mary but what would have happened to George V. Would he have been considered too important to lose? Would the King realise the stigma attached to getting in a lifeboat while women and children were still on board and stand back as the other rich and important passengers had? Ken.

Re: Royalty on Titanic.

Postby Aaron2010 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm

I can't believe the King or even a Prince would willingly step into a lifeboat. It would destroy the image of the country he represents. It reminds me of this speech from the 1991 film 'King Ralph'.

"What exactly does a King have to do?"

"What you do is not as important as what you are. To be the King of England is a responsibility like no other on Earth. You must become a symbol of all that is best about England. An embodiment of our history, our culture, our morality, our pride of achievement. In short, our idea of civilization. You must in the harsh light of public scrutiny exhibit all of our virtues and none of our short comings."

Return to Titanic Passengers