Masons on Titanic

Discuss Titanic Passengers here.

Masons on Titanic

Postby booth1085 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 am

I am interested to find out the names of any Freemasons who Built , served on and traveled out on RMS Titanic. At this time i know of 13 who were on the great ship.
booth1085

Re: Masons on Titanic

Postby pat toms » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

booth 1085,I suspect that the freemasons on the Titanic were all wealthy men and probably a few of them were Irish masons as well as other ones English,American etc.Pat
pat toms

Postby booth1085 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:32 pm

This is what i have so far and they are a mixture of Crew and passengers rich and poor.
Oscar Scott Woody lived in Clifton, VA. and was one of five postal clerks who perished on the Titanic when after hitting an iceberg sank on April 15, 1912. Oscar Scott Woody was a Freemason and was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason in Acacia Lodge No. 16 in Clifton, VA. on August 30, 1903.

Among the English Freemasons who died on the Titanic was
Howard Brown Case, aged 49. Case was the managing director of the Vacuum Oil Company (part of the Standard Oil Company), based in Rochester, New York, and was establishing the company’s operations in the UK. He lived at Ascot with his wife, two sons and two daughters and was described as ‘an exceptionally hard worker’ with a ‘magnetic personality’. Case had been travelling in a first-class cabin and some survivors recalled that he helped women and children into the lifeboats and finally stepped back to meet his fate. He had been initiated in America Lodge, No. 3368, in June 1909.
Percy Cornelius Taylor, aged 32, was a Past Master of Musgrave Lodge, No. 1597, at Hampton Court, and a cellist in the ship’s orchestra. The band famously kept playing as the Titanic went down, with all eight members sadly perishing.
Two Liverpool-based stewards,
Robert Arthur Wareham, aged 36, from Toxteth Lodge, No. 1356, and Arthur Lawrence, aged 35, a member of Neptune Lodge, No. 1264, also died.
Henry Price Hodges was a 50-year-old salesman of musical instruments from Southampton who was travelling as a second-class passenger en route to Boston. He had been initiated in Caulsentum Lodge, No. 1461, Woolston (Southampton), before joining Royal Gloucester Lodge, No. 130.
Pierre Giuseppe Bochet, meanwhile, had moved to London from Aosta in Italy where he worked in the catering trade. He joined the Titanic at Southampton as a waiter, aged 43. He was a member of Loggia Italia, No. 2687 and also Columbia Chapter, No. 2397.
OFFICER AND GENTLEMAN
One Freemason was known to be among the survivors.
Herbert John Pitman, aged 34, was third officer on the Titanic. He helped to load and lower one of the lifeboats and row it towards the nearby ship Carpathia. Pitman went back to sea with other liners and served in the Merchant Navy in the Second World War. He had joined Abbey Lodge, No. 3341, in Hatfield in 1909 and remained a member until his death in 1961. A letter from the lodge congratulating him on his rescue was sold at auction in October 2011.
As the Titanic was bound for New York there were many American passengers. The condolences of several grand lodges, including Hungary and Cuba, to the Grand Lodge of New York are recorded in the proceedings of that Grand Lodge in May 1912. Three New York casualties were also recorded.
Henry Harris was a New York theatre manager and a member of Munn Lodge, No. 100.
Frank Millet was vice chairman of the Fine Arts Committee, based in Washington DC, and member of Kane Lodge, No. 454.
Alexander Holverson was a member of Transportation Lodge, No. 842. Another Freemason casualty was
Oscar Scott Woody, a clerk in the on-board post office. He was a member of Acacia Lodge, No. 16, in Virginia.
The passengers on the Titanic were drawn from all walks of life so it is no surprise that the Freemasons, casualties and survivors, were too.

Oscar Hedman Umca Sweden 1884 born survivor
Fr Robert James Bateman born 1860 Per Pendennis Stapel hill Bristol

Henry Wellesley Ashe Titanic Victualling Crew Age 32 Liverpool England Born1880
booth1085

Postby MAB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

There doesn't seem to be anything on T-T, but there's a discussion of Masons on Titanic on ET; look here.

ET has been verrrrrrrry slow lately; be patient.
MAB

Postby Achmet Pamba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 am

Salaam.

Archie Butt was a Mason.

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Postby George Lorton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 am

I'm interested as well in what Free Mason's were on Titanic, as my Grandpa was one, well shucks, his whole family were so I found this very informative. I think I looked this up before on ET before.

Actually, I am also interested in if there were any ladies who were of the order of the Eastern Star as my great grandmother was, it would seem a lot of wives of Free Mason's belonged to that Order, although it wasn't just for women only as some men were members too.
George Lorton

Postby booth1085 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Major Archibald Willingham Butt was a friend of Frank Millett, does anybody know what Lodge Archie was in?
booth1085

Postby Achmet Pamba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Salaam.

Archie was inducted into Washington's Temple Lodge #32 on January 27, 1910.

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Postby booth1085 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the info Achmet.
booth1085

Postby booth1085 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

George Lorton Who was your Grandpa?
booth1085

Postby George Lorton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am

nnnnnnn
Last edited by George Lorton on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Lorton

Postby pat toms » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 pm

I am suprised that there were no Irish mentioned who were members of the Irish Lodges. Pat
pat toms

Postby VW1956 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

Hello. Now this is going to sound stupid. But although I have heard the word many times I have no idea what a Mason is or does. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Achmet Pamba » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

Salaam, Pat.

>I am suprised> that there were no Irish mentioned who were members of the Irish Lodges. Pat

Since you live in Ireland, I'd be grateful if you could provide us with a list of those people. Thanks very much.

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Postby Achmet Pamba » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Salaam, Pat.

I have a feeling that you might have missed seeing my last posting, so I'll repeat it here.

You wrote:

>I am suprised> that there were no Irish mentioned who were members of the Irish Lodges. Pat

Since you live in Ireland, I'd be grateful if you could provide us with a list of those people. Thanks very much.

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Next

Return to Titanic Passengers