Masons on Titanic

Discuss Titanic Passengers here.

Re: Masons on Titanic

Postby pat toms » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:19 am

Achmet, thanks for your reply I will see what I can do thanks for your reply so I ask the question and you are right i will do my bedst since i live here. Pat, in Ireland that is.
pat toms

Postby George Lorton » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 pm

VW1956 wrote:Hello. Now this is going to sound stupid. But although I have heard the word many times I have no idea what a Mason is or does. Ken.

A mason was a type of carpenter that works in bricks, like a carpenter works in wood.
George Lorton

Postby VW1956 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Hello George. Is that what a Mason really is. It always sounded like a sort of secret society that did I know not what. Except of course there not secret as you know who they are. Ken.
VW1956

Postby George Lorton » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi Ken, well that is a Free Mason not just a Mason. Free Masons are pretty secretive. My brother is one and if he tells what he talks about in his meetings that he goes to then he would be in some serious ______. It was probably worse for tattletales back in my grandfathers day. Secretive indeed.
George Lorton

Postby Dave Gittins » Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am

Harold Lowe later became a Freemason.

Freemasonery has been described not as a 'secret society' but 'a society with secrets'. Specific details of its rites and rituals, which vary greatly from place to place, are secret, but general organisation and practices are not. There's plenty on Wikipedia.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby VW1956 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello. So freemasons belong to a secret society. But what sort of things do they do? I mean are the things they do secret and if so why? Or if they want no one to know that they are a member of a secret society then whats the point of belonging to such a group if no one knows that you belong. I like all things Titanic and every one at work knows that I like Titanic. But whats the point if I was interested in something but no one knew about it. It kind of makes the whole thing pointless. Ken.
VW1956

Postby pat toms » Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 pm

VW,1956,The free Masons is not a secret Society,it is a Society of secrets,I joined the Irish freemasons when I was 60 years old,a bit old for this to happen.However I then worked hard at doing what one does in the Masons,I must say that it had been an interesting experience and for me it was one of the most diifucult things I have ever done in my life.It the Masons is just something you have to do if you are lucky,or if it appeals to you,I hope that you are curios enough. Pat
pat toms

Postby joshua » Sun May 20, 2012 9:22 pm

There is a picture of Latimer the chief steward and it looks like there's a masionic symbol on his watch chain but I don't know for sure.
joshua

Postby MAB » Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 pm

joshua wrote:There is a picture of Latimer the chief steward ...
Where, Joshua?
MAB

Postby joshua » Sun May 20, 2012 9:53 pm

I saw it in Titanic and her Sisters by Tom McCluskie.
joshua

Postby George Lorton » Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am

I heard that book had some good pictures in it. My grandfather had a masonic pendant that my Grandmother got him that she kept after he died. It was the masonic square and compass. I remember it because it is on his gravestone too and that caught in my mind as a kid.

Yes the Free Masons are secretive about their meetings but really a lot of lodges, clubs, societies are. My Brother says Wikipedia is full of crap on a lot of information they have on the Free Masons. I should bug my brother to come on here as he knows a lot more then I do and could give you all an earful. To be honest I was never really interested in it myself or my Grandmother would of gotten me in it like she did my brother.
George Lorton

Postby VW1956 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Hello. I still dont get the point of belonging to a group that is secret and so no one knows that you are a member. What on earth do they do when they meet up? Do they boast to each other that no one knows were here. Puzzled from London. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Dave Gittins » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Membership is not secret. Members openly go to meetings, as I saw years ago in a little country town. A number of smartly dressed men were walking down the street one evening and I was puzzled. They were local Freemasons on the way to their lodge.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby joshua » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:51 pm

My neighbor was a freemason and made it known. When he died, the masons in their full regalia were the pallbearers. I think what makes this secret group so interesting is so many leaders like Washington, the Roosevelts, and others were masons.
joshua

Postby George Lorton » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Yeah what is done in meeting is secret though. Yeah you can tell anybody you are a member. Both my great grandparents have Freemason symbols on their graves, Free Masons are not a Secret society, but secretive about what goings on in their meetings. Shoot TI and THS are the same way about their business amongst their officers.
George Lorton

Previous

Return to Titanic Passengers