Descendants

Discuss Titanic Passengers here.

Descendants

Postby VW1956 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 am

Hello. I was wondering just how many descendants of the Titanic survivors there are. I spoke to quite a few people on the "Balmoral" and it seems that about half of them have an ancestor that was on Titanic. On two occasions the first thing that I was asked when meeting a person was "Did you have a descendant on Titanic?" I felt at a disadvantage at having to answer "No". I was sort of made to feel like "steerage". One couple I spoke to told me that her Great great grand mother was on Titanic but both she and her husband had no interest in Titanic. When I asked her "Why was she on this trip" She replied that they were both Beatles fanatics and it seemed a good way to go to Liverpool. They didn't get off the ship while it was docked at Belfast.

There are probably more descendants than you would at first think. If 700 survived then they would almost all marry and have 4 children each which makes 2,800 by the mid 1920's. Those children grow and marry so by the 1950's that makes about 10,000 descendants. Taking into account the number of children in an average marriage is now down to 3 so by the 1980's there are now about 30,000 people descended from those aboard Titanic then bringing it up to the present time that could mean about 100,000 people could say they had a relative who was on board Titanic. Plus there are those people that perished in the sinking who had children already. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Descendants

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 am

Ken,

Even some of the ones that died still have descendents living today' so there is loads more living than you think. etc...James moody,Captain Smith died' they already had children and cousins brothers sisters that were not even on the ship Titanic.

I find it amazing that most Titanic descendants they are not members on Titanic forums? or they could be laying low. who knows?
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby Titanic_Malaysia » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 am

That's true, because 700 survivors is a large number of people, which means there has to be thousands of descendants all over the British Isles, USA, and worldwide today... However, like what Aly said, it's funny that they are not active on Titanic forums like this one, otherwise there would be more lively discussions on the stricken liner online! :)
Titanic, sailing into the sunset forever - you'll never be forgotten (1912-2012)
Titanic_Malaysia

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 am

HI TM,

Robert Hichens ancestor is a member here (Sally Nelson) she published a book and Pat Toms says he is a decedent from a Titanic relative but that's about it. Two out of millions.
The conversations are great with Titanic descendants and with more would be so awesome.
Aly Jones

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:43 am

Sally's username is 'hichensancestor.
Aly Jones

Postby Aly Jones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am

My apologies. Imtitanic (marko) also had a loved one that were aboard the I'll fated titanic.
Aly Jones

Postby Titanic_Malaysia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 am

Yup, and Pat seems to be quite active in the Forums as well... Good to be able to chat with him in my other threads, including the modeling one, since he has a direct connection to Titanic's sinking via his relative!
Titanic, sailing into the sunset forever - you'll never be forgotten (1912-2012)
Titanic_Malaysia

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:12 am

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I would be willing to bet the number today is growing faster than "natural events" would allow. :(

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 am

Hello all. It's a very big day for Sally (hichensansestor) today. Those of you who read all the posts will remember that a short while ago after much reseach Sally was able to track down the final resting place of Robert Hichens her Great grand father. Today Sally is flying up to see where he is buried. I'm sure I can speak for everyone on here in wishing Sally a great and peaceful day. Ken.
VW1956

Postby VW1956 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 am

Hello. Maybe the descendants of the survivors have there own forum and we as "only" haveing an interest in Titanic are not welcome to join. No, I dont believe that either. I spoke to about a dozen people while on Balmoral and I always put the question to them "Are you on any Titanic forums?" The answer was always "No". Ken.
VW1956

Postby Titanic_Malaysia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am

So looks like there are indeed many descendants of people linked to the Titanic (perished on board or survived the disaster) all over the world today, but if they were in our Forums, things will be very merry and buzzing with discussions, for sure! :D

And speaking of Sally's ancestor, Robert Hichens, is this the correct person? I picked this article on Mr. Hichens from Wikipedia, btw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hichens_(RMS_Titanic)
Titanic_Malaysia

Postby Aly Jones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 am

Yep TM that is him her great grand father. Not sure if she wrote that but she wrote her own book and it has been published. I brought the book and it is a very good book to read.I was very impressed.

Ken' That's funny how all those people went on the Titanic cruise but they have no interest in talking about the ill fated titanic???
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Hello Aly. Obviously most people were interested in Titanic on that cruise but it did surprise me that there were quite a few that were not. Some people were on the Titanic cruise simply because it was another cruise for them to go on. It seems to be a kind of hobby to do at least one cruise a year. The first couple I spoke to had an interest in Titanic but also said that this was there 12th cruise. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Aly Jones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Geez' wished I had the funds for one cruise. very lucky people that can go on many cruises as they like.
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 am

Hello Aly. I also had always thought that to go on a cruise was very expensive. Mine cost £641 which at the time of booking I thought it was a lot of money. But later in the year we all go on holiday for a week to Blackpool. Thats a seaside town like no other in England. It gets thousands of people there just about all year long. But taking into account the cost of some where to stay add to that food and the price is not that much cheaper than a cruise. But I wont be going on another cruise as it's all a bit slow for me. But I can see for some it is ideal. Ken.

PS. Nice chatting to you in the Chat room the other day.
VW1956

Next

Return to Titanic Passengers