Save the MS Augustus!

Save the MS Augustus!

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 am

One of the last Ocean Liners, build in 1952 is about to get scrapped in a month! :( :(
I'm surprised no one has yet made a site or something demanding signatures to save the ship!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Augustus_(1952)
"No, thank you. We are dressed in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen"
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Re: Save the MS Augustus!

Postby VW1956 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 am

Hello Stergios. Looks kind of new with just one funnel. I'm sure the furniture that was in the Belvedere lounge has long gone. Would be worth a fortune if it still exscisted. Looks so futuristic. Shame it has to go. Ken.
VW1956

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:12 pm

VW1956 wrote:Hello Stergios. Looks kind of new with just one funnel. I'm sure the furniture that was in the Belvedere lounge has long gone. Would be worth a fortune if it still exscisted. Looks so futuristic. Shame it has to go. Ken.

Yes, and after it's gone, there'll be just one Ocean Liner in the world that still floats! Who knows, maybe something will change and she'll be saved!
"No, thank you. We are dressed in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen"
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Today, she is beached off of Alang India, with the name Philippine, and scrapping will be starting within the next month.....

Well I haven't heard anything else from the Team that is trying to save her! Maybe something good will happen....
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby EvilEmperorZoRG GR » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Here I found some photos! Look how beautiful she is!
http://maritimematters.com/2010/07/doub ... ttom-tour/
My god please! Save this great ship! It's a shame to scrap her...

EDIT: Bad news, here's what I read on the comments...

And so the AUGUSTUS is now on the beach in India, her innards partially stripped and the winching process to bring her closer to shore is underway. Cutting will begin in a few weeks and she will disappear in the Spring of 2012, 60 years after she first entered service. I have just returned from Alang where I had the sad honor of saying goodbye to the most magnificent motor liner afloat.
EvilEmperorZoRG GR

Postby RPMarks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 pm

That is a terrible shame. The last of the great and stylish Italia liners. I'd only recently discovered she still existed too.
RPMarks

Return to Italia Line