Mississippi River steamships

Mississippi River steamships

Postby Captain ACS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 am

Even though alot of these have disappeared in the past few years, some have still survived. These are ships you will probably only find in the MS river region.

Here's some examples.

The Natchez, built in 1975 and in service in New Orleans:
Picture

The Creole Queen, built in 1982 and entered service in 1983, also in New Orleans (Picture by me from the deck of Natchez, March 2011):
Picture

The Delta Queen, entered service in 1927, retired in 2008 and turned into a hotel ship docked in Chattanooga:
Picture

The Mississippi Queen, entered service in 1976, scrapped in 2008 (Picture is with the Delta Queen at the Tall Stacks Festival in Cincinnati, 2003):
Picture

The American Queen, entered service in 1995, was put out of service between 2008-2011, put back in service in 2012:
Picture

2008 was a horrible year for the Mississippi River with all these ships disappearing. Luckily I got the pleasure of going on the Natchez back in March 2011 (when I took the picture of the Creole Queen).

Here's a video of the Delta Queen passing through New Orleans for its last voyage in 2008. The video was recorded from onboard the Mississippi Queen, and the Creole Queen & Natchez can be seen along with the Delta Queen on the river. The Carnival Ecstasy is also seen docked at the St. Juliana Port Terminal:

Another video, in Louisville
-Will "Madcatter" Allen

I'm a 27-year-old Mississippi River lover who spends his spare time playing country & rock music. Not much else to say.
Captain ACS

Re: Mississippi River steamships

Postby David G. Brown » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 am

When Mississippi Queen came out I was publishing a boating magazine that covered the Western Rivers of the United States. My wife and I were invited to go aboard one of the first trips to write about and photograph the grand new ship. As journalists we were given access to key members of the crew. Of these, the Chief Engineer was least talkative. In fact, his tour of the engine room amounted to opening a door and pointing to the darkness within. “That's the engine room,” said pulling it shut. Mississippi Queen was steam powered, so I asked him where they get licensed engineers. “We come from the Great Lakes,” was his answer. I mentioned that I live on the shores of Lake Erie and that opened a conversation.

“Have you seen my old ship, the Meteor?.” My answer astounded him. “Yup, I was aboard last weekend.” With that he grabbed my arm and dragged me into his cabin. The Meteor was the last of an odd breed of Great Lakes ships called “whalebacks.” I told him his ship was preserved as a museum and the engines he loved were being preserved by retired marine engineers. When the conversation ended, the man said, “Now, would you really like to see the engine room?”

That tour included opening the lagging on the piston so we could see the mechanism move. Then, he sent me out on the sponson that supported the huge paddle wheel. To one side was foaming water and to my other was a thin iron railing. With trepidation I walked aft until I was actually behind the paddle wheel, then I turned to look forward and see the entire ship churning up its namesake river. What a view! Yes, I did take photos. They've been lost somewhere in a forgotten file or I'd post one here. But the memory remains.

-- David G. Brown
David G. Brown

Re: Mississippi River steamships

Postby Captain ACS » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:40 am

I still have some old footage of the engine room aboard the Natchez from back in 2011. I'd put it up on here if it weren't for my rubbish internet connection.
-Will "Madcatter" Allen

I'm a 27-year-old Mississippi River lover who spends his spare time playing country & rock music. Not much else to say.
Captain ACS

Return to Sailing Vessels