Location, Location, Location!

Who, what, and why.

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Postby Aly Jones » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 am

Ken, ever since I knew of the Titanic, my dream were to go to Southampton. ;)

You know the famous picture of Titanic at Southampton with a man sitting on a bench looking out towards Titanic? I always wanted to do a replica. :D
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby ShamelessAngels » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 pm

hichensancestor wrote:Just bought some new trainers and LOVE Crawfish. I'll do a Forest Gump and come over.

Please do! lol Would love to hear all about your Titanic family history over a meal! :D
VW1956 wrote: Your correct in that America has the best Titanic museums but we have the actual places that Titanic went to. Of course when I say we I mean Belfast (of course) and Southampton. I was reminded of this fact a couple of tears ago by some one who lives in America. Ken.

Don't forget Cherbourg! Oh, I wish I could visit those places! I'm supposed to be going to England soon, so maybe!
ShamelessAngels

Postby ukfreddybear » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:40 am

Hi folks.
I have lived in Southampton all my life, as have the five generations of Fredericks before me. The shipping industry has been a meal ticket for many of my ancestors, although these days I'm a fireman of the more modern use of the term. :D

Dave
ukfreddybear

Postby ShamelessAngels » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm

ukfreddybear wrote:Hi folks.
I have lived in Southampton all my life,

How far is that from Swindon? I plan to visit a friend in Swindon soon and would love to drop by the Southampton harbor!
ShamelessAngels

Postby ukfreddybear » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm

As the crow flies about 40 miles. Using the two main roads it is 67 miles (M4 then A34)
ukfreddybear

Postby ShamelessAngels » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:26 pm

ukfreddybear wrote:As the crow flies about 40 miles. Using the two main roads it is 67 miles (M4 then A34)

That's not bad at all! It is about as far as my home in Covington, Louisiana is from our state capital. Of course, I am told your highways are a bit of a different experience than the interstates in the US.
ShamelessAngels

Postby ukfreddybear » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 pm

If by that you mean we only have 2,3 or 4 lane carriageways then you would be right. England isn't big enough for roads 8 lanes wide!
ukfreddybear

Postby nboal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I live in Maryland, in the USA. Columbia, Maryland, to be exact.
nboal

Postby ShamelessAngels » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 pm

ukfreddybear wrote:If by that you mean we only have 2,3 or 4 lane carriageways then you would be right. England isn't big enough for roads 8 lanes wide!

Ah, yes. I imagine it would be like driving the smaller state highways we also have here. They get you where you're going perfectly, but there's no driving 75 mph (120 kph) on them! You can drive that fast easily on our large interstates!
ShamelessAngels

Postby frydawg » Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 pm

I live in Cabot, Pennsylvania-it's about an hour drive northeast of Pittsburgh.
frydawg

Postby VW1956 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Hello to UKfreddybear, ShamelessAngels, nboal and frydawg. all from America. We British are probably outnumbered now. ShamelessAngels if you visit Swindon then you really must try and get to Southampton. They have an all new Maritime museum (which I still have not been to). Ken.
VW1956

Postby ukfreddybear » Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Hang on Ken, I'm from Southampton, UK. British through and through. Well, since 1846 anyhow :-)
ukfreddybear

Postby VW1956 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 am

Hello Ukfreddybear. Sorry about that. Dont know what I was thinking. As I typed out your name I was wondering why your user name began with "uk". I think we are still outnumbered by those from over the pond. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Aly Jones » Wed May 23, 2012 7:03 am

I think the Aussies and the Americans outnumber the Brits on this forum.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby sinuhe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I live in coast town of Viña del Mar, in Chile, Southamerica. It seems that I am the only one from this part of the world, so far from the Titanic tragedy. However, I am very close to Horn Cape, the only way to cross from the Atlantic to the Pacific before the Panama Canal was made. It is a dangerous place with heavy storms most the time. At that point, Southamerica is more an archipelago, full off small channels with many ship wrecks from the XIX century. Some are in full decay, others as the day they sink. It is a lonely and misterious place, and difficult to arrive at. Time seems to be stop and only the strong winds and the sound of the sea against the rocks live there. Really is the end of the world, Sinuhe.
sinuhe

PreviousNext

Return to Say Hello