How did the sinking of Titanic affect immigration?

Who, what, and why.

How did the sinking of Titanic affect immigration?

Postby mary63 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 am

My great grandfather sailed from Poland ( via Germany and England) to Philadelphia in June of 1912. HIs wife and son (my grandfather) sailed from Poland (via Germany and England) to New York in September 1912. Does anyone know what info they would have had at the time regarding the sinking of the Titanic? How long did it take for these countries to learn of it; did they learn of it prior to setting sail? I wonder how others made the decision to migrate immediatrely afterwards. I have no one I can specifically ask, so I thought maybe other famlies had memebrs who came to the US about the same time.
mary63

Re: How did the sinking of Titanic affect immigration?

Postby VW1956 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:07 am

Hello Mary63. I would have thought that your Great Grand Father and Grand Father would both have known about the demise of Titanic. It was afterall the biggest news story for years and would have been flashed around the world in days. But I doubt very much if it would have made anyone change there minds about going to America. Ken.
VW1956

Re: How did the sinking of Titanic affect immigration?

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm

I would think Olympic had a hard time filling up spaces for her voyages after Titanic had sunk' I doubt that any other ships would feel any impact.
Many ships received enough lifeboats for all and upgrade their safety features. As for the Olympic being Titanic's and Britannic's sister and looking like both ships' It would had been a hard life trying to convince people to take her than other ships.

Like today' we have air-crashes we hear about it' but most of us still fly on air-crafts.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Return to Say Hello