A Christmas Story is real

Off topic chat and stuff.

A Christmas Story is real

Postby Captain ACS » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:46 am

I know that's a weird title to see around these forums, but just hear me out. This is a pretty funny thing. If you've ever seen the 80s film A Christmas Story, you'll understand. If you're like me, it's unavoidable at this time of year.

9 years ago today, my 9-year-old brother (actually 18 now) shot himself with a BB gun. To see why this is crazy, allow my youngest brother Landon (HawkbitAlpha, now 16, who operated this account until 2013) to explain.

HawkbitAlpha [Landon]: so i just watched A Christmas Story for the first time
R. Bjornson: that old 80s movie about the kid who wants an air rifle for Christmas?
HawkbitAlpha: yeah, that
HawkbitAlpha: and it's scary
MrMetallkniv: Scary?
MrMetallkniv: lolwut
HawkbitAlpha: yes, it's scary
HawkbitAlpha: it's terrifying how closely Ralphie's story is parallel with that of Joey
HawkbitAlpha: he too wanted a Red Ryder back in Christmas 2006
HawkbitAlpha: ended up getting it
HawkbitAlpha: i actually still have it
SantiXgoIV: erm...
MrMetallkniv: that's a little bit crazy
HawkbitAlpha: well, um
HawkbitAlpha: THAT'S NOT EVEN THE CRAZY PART xD
MrMetallkniv: Oh boy
MrMetallkniv: What else
HawkbitAlpha: see, we used this metal bell on a wood post out front as a target
HawkbitAlpha: but the thing is about 30-35m from our front, so you have to get pretty close to it
HawkbitAlpha: since the Ryder's range is non-existent
MrMetallkniv: Mhm
HawkbitAlpha: well
HawkbitAlpha: a few days after Christmas, he gets a little TOO close to it
HawkbitAlpha: ends up having a pellet ricochet back at him and hit him in his glasses' right lens
MrMetallkniv: lol
SantiXgoIV: Smooth, Joey, real smooth
MrMetallkniv: 10/10

I realized this crazy coincidence not long after it happened, although I was the only one of us who had seen the film at the time. Remember, people: don't shoot your eye out! :lol:

Edit: I just remembered that my username had "ACS" in it. No, this does not mean A Christmas Story, funny enough.
-Will "Madcatter" Allen

I'm a 27-year-old Mississippi River lover who spends his spare time playing country & rock music. Not much else to say.
Captain ACS

Re: A Christmas Story is real

Postby Eric K. Longo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am

Hello Captain ACS! :)

That is a crazy coincidence! Well, I was wondering what would happen if I put "shoot your eye out" into the old Google - this film has been on some sort of permanent showing for days on some channel or other. I have never actually seen it. I only know that scene with the tongue getting stuck to something, the BB gun, and for some reason Carl Kolchak is there running around after a "leg-lamp"? Is that correct? I don't know if you remember The Night Stalker from 1973 but I loved that show - Darren McGavin was Carl Kolchak - a seer-sucker-suit-wearing newspaper reporter who would run into vampires and werewolves and all sorts of monsters. It was an hour long show - being 1973 all he has was a cheap camera and a cassette recorder. It was enough back then. Today you probably need a handheld device to kill a vampire. If anyone ever watches the show, the "slightly older" folks will recognize Kolchak's boss Vincenzo as the psychiatrist at the end of the original Psycho who diagnoses Norman Bates.

Tell Landon I'm glad he had his glasses on! Could have been much worse.

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby Captain ACS » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Eric K. Longo wrote:Tell Landon I'm glad he had his glasses on! Could have been much worse.

As true as that is, you seem to have gotten this a little mixed up. Landon goes under the moniker HawkbitAlpha, and he's the guy telling the story here. The one you're thinking of is actually our middle brother Joey. (Though I would like to point out: Landon brought out this same Red Ryder yesterday for old time's sake, and came quite close to shooting himself too. Logic...)

I need to re-check Night Stalker too. I watched that show quite a lot, but I never knew that McGavin was in it.
-Will "Madcatter" Allen

I'm a 27-year-old Mississippi River lover who spends his spare time playing country & rock music. Not much else to say.
Captain ACS

Postby Eric K. Longo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello again,

Ah, well...uh...it was early in the am and there were a lot of names and characters. I was probably distracted by wondering if others pass down chat monikers to younger siblings - that is new to me.
Yes indeed, Kolchak was played by McGavin. Now that I think of it - wasn't there is one that takes place aboard the Queen Mary?

Edit to add - Yes, "The Werewolf" episode from 1974 is on the QM. I am off to watch it now.

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Return to Cafe Parisien