"On a Sea of Glass, The Life & Loss of The RMS Titanic"

Discuss Titanic Books here.

Re: "On a Sea of Glass, The Life & Loss of The RMS Titanic"

Postby North 52 West » Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 am

I demanded that my son buy this for my birthday, cos thats what Mums do!
:D Kaz :D
Oh hear us when we cry to thee, for those in peril on the sea
North 52 West

Postby J. Kent Layton » Tue May 22, 2012 5:41 am

Kaz, haha! Well, I trust you'll find it's worth it! :) Take care, and enjoy the reading!
J. Kent Layton

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 pm

I got my copy last Thursday and I am currently up to Chapter Two. I have read all about the building and fitting out and I thought I knew a lot about that but I have to say this has been an education. This book is a lot more in depth than the other books I have read. I read Titanic Triumph and Tragedy last year but this is a million miles better and so much more interesting. You learn a lot more about the principal characters involved in the building of Titanic. The other books didn't really cover that they tell you their names and that is about it really. However this book brings these people to life which makes it so much more entertaining to read. Going onto the second chapter I have already learned much more about the passengers than I knew before. As with the builders these people are brought to life too. All in all I am very impressed so far. I read an article that said it was a bit like A Night to Remember in that it is a very entertaining book to read. Well from what I have read so far I agree wholeheartedly however this is as I have said very in depth and covers a lot more and the pictures are great. Thanks a lot.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby Sheikh Mustafa » Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you Denise, I am deeply flattered by your words regarding the book. I am glad that you are enjoying it, and if my coauthors and I have helped bring the people involved in the ship and disaster to life for the readers, and helped make the disaster more "real" by making that connection, then I consider our mission accomplished, as that was one of our goals. I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts once you get further into the book.

Kind regards,
Tad
Sheikh Mustafa

Postby J. Kent Layton » Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Denise,

Just a quick response before I head out: I wholeheartedly concur with Tad's response, and I'm very glad that you are enjoying the book. I hope that you will continue to let us know more of your thoughts as you go along. Take care!

Best wishes,
Kent
J. Kent Layton

Postby Achmet Pamba » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 am

Salaam, Denise.

I agree with your assessment. I can honestly say that it's one of the very best Titanic books I've ever read (and I've read all of the important ones as well as most of the lesser ones.) Tad, Kent and Bill did a wonderful job and deserve all of the kudos they'll be receiving during the coming years.

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Postby Sheikh Mustafa » Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you for that extremely generous assessment of our book, o my cousin. It is much appreciated.

Mustafa
Sheikh Mustafa

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm

I am now well into chapter four and it is a really amazing book. No other book that I have read covers the other days of the voyage they just seem to jump from sailing day 10 April straight to the night of 14 April. It is so much more interesting to read about the other days. It makes you feel as though you were actually there. You also get more of an idea as the the reactions of other passengers to the collision and mistakes the stewards made telling people to go back to bed. This may have caused people to become trapped. I had never really thought about that side of the disaster. There was so much blind faith in the the ship being unsinkable. It is definitely the best book on the Titanic that I have read. I read the book by Charles A Haas Destination Disaster and I found it a big disapointment. It was so full of innacuracies that it was hard to be sure what was right and what was wrong. That it is refreshing to read a book that is so well researched and so accurate. This all adds to make the book so interesting and readable.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby bwormst » Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 pm

I can feel Kent's, Tad's and my heads swelling with all the compliments.

Thanks to all.

Bill
bwormst

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Thu May 31, 2012 11:39 pm

bwormst wrote:I can feel Kent's, Tad's and my heads swelling with all the compliments.

Thanks to all.

Bill

Bill,

I suspect that their collective turbans will be getting bigger by the day! :lol:
All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Postby Achmet Pamba » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 am

Salaam, Andrew.

My beloved cousin Mustafa and his friends can always loosen their tightly-wrapped burnooses if necessary. ;-)

Achmet
Achmet Pamba

Postby nboal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 pm

I pre-ordered my copy on Amazon.com. I just got a message that it is no longer available. I just ordered a used copy from one of the sellers. Did this book go out of print so early?
nboal

Postby Aly Jones » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:42 am

Unfortunately, it seems there not much interests for Titanic, therefore, books go out of print?
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby Sheikh Mustafa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello guys,
'On A Sea of Glass' is still in print, and has been selling very well in Europe and the UK, but there have been distribution issues which is why it has not yet been released in the US. My coauthors and I are working on getting these difficulties worked out, but as of right now, don't have a firm date for the US release. We will update everyone for sure as soon as we find out.

In the meantime, there are several options for how to get the book, and many places where it is available right now. If you go to the following link, there are several affiliated US Amazon bookstores that have multiple copies in stock, and you can get a copy that way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 543&sr=8-1

Also, you can order the book via Amazon.co.uk, which currently has the book in stock for around $51.00 and has been stocking it regularly: http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Sea-Glass-Li ... 643&sr=8-1

Additionally, I don't know if there are any copies in stock currently, but we are thinking of getting more, so you can order from the authors directly at the following address. This link also has some great info on the book that you can look at too: http://www.atlanticliners.com/onaseaofg ... sbook.html

I hope that this helps, and thank you for your interest. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,
Tad

PS: Aly, if you are looking for a copy, the Australian National Maritime Museum has copies they are selling.
Sheikh Mustafa

Postby nboal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 am

Mystery is solved. Thanks, Tad, for the explanation. I did order a new copy from one of the US dealers listed on Amazon.com. I'm sorry that there are distribution issues in the US.
nboal

PreviousNext

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications