Maritime Books in the UK

Discuss Titanic Books here.

Maritime Books in the UK

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 am

This morning, I called in at our main library in the City of Preston, Lancs (Harris). It is an enormous Victorian building with a very large library section. Eventually, I found the Transport & Maritime section. It was confined to about three shelves, each about four feet long. The vast majority of the books were about aircraft, railways, buses, trucks and cars! There was only one book on the history of seafaring. It was very large and followed the usual theme. Three quarters of it about coracles, ancient Phonecian ships, Galleons, Galleys, Napoleonic warships, a few tea clippers and then petering out to the obligatory Bounty, Victory, Cutty Sark & Titanic.
When I looked in the front, the last time it had been taken out was in 2010! :shock: I am afraid that is how it is these days!
Bob
shipbuilder

Re: Maritime Books in the UK

Postby VW1956 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello Bob. And thats just how it was at the library in the school where I work. Three books reative to Titanic were discarded although I got the librarian to reinstate one of them. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Maritime Books in the UK

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 pm

We have eight local library branches and when all of their maritime books are put together there's a fair amount. Titanic does make up for a large percentage of them. It requires a little digging with various search terms (e.g. ships, maritime, shipwrecks, ocean liner, etc. You get the idea). When all is said and done it appears there are between 100 and 200 titles. Not bad for a middle sized town without much nautical history other than the Ohio River.
Gail

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications