RMS Olympic by Brian Hawley

Discuss Titanic Books here.

RMS Olympic by Brian Hawley

Postby rms367 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 am

I hadn't seen anything posted about this yet so I thought I should. Brian Hawley's illustrated history of the RMS Olympic is now out. To see sample pages of the book, go to

http://www.luxurylinerrow.com/RMSOlympic.html

There are ordering instructions on the page at Luxury Liner Row. I have seen the book, and it really is amazing. It runs 128 pages, and has lots and lots of never-before-seen and/or unpublished photos of Olympic, a complete set of emergency station plans, a full-color cut-away of the ship, a dining room seating chart from the 1920's, a new painting on the cover of Olympic in Liverpool on June 1, 1911, and lots more. One of the most interesting features is a "walking tour" from bow to stern using images of Olympic that were taken in May, 1912, at the time of Senator Smith’s visit to the ship for the Titanic Inquiry. This was the first time she had been to New York since the sinking of Titanic.

If you are interested in Olympic, Titanic, White Star, or liners in general, this is one book your library should not be without!

Eric Sauder
rms367

Re: RMS Olympic by Brian Hawley

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Eric, thanks for the tip-off, you can order the book here;

Brian Hawley Books
All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Postby rms367 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Andrew,

Knowing how these things work, having written a Lusitania book myself, if anyone wants to help out any ocean-liner author by buying their book, it's best to do it from the author directly. Any copies sold on Amazon don't really make the author any money because of the discounts Amazon offers. Always buy from the author directly if possible. As a bonus, they will sign it for you.

Eric
rms367

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi Eric,

Nice to see you here. By my count this is two books by Brian, with this being his first as sole author! For those interested, Brian's other book is RMS Caronia: Cunard's Green Goddess, written with well known maritime author Bill Miller. This beautiful book can also be purchased at the link above provided by Andrew.
Both books are well written, illustrated with scarce and previously unpublished photographs (I have seen some of them!), and both are an excellent value! I recommend them.

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby Sheikh Mustafa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Salaam,
I haven't seen this book yet, but I must say I love the cover painting. It is by Robert Lloyd, the same maritime artist who did the cover painting of Titanic sinking for "On A Sea of Glass." His work is top-notch, and definitely grabs the eye of readers. He should offer both paintings as prints.

Mustafa
Sheikh Mustafa

Postby VW1956 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Hello. I got my copy of this book a couple of days ago. I love it. One thing I really like to see is pictures that I have not seen before and there are lots in this book. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications