A terrible thing.

Discuss Titanic Books here.

A terrible thing.

Postby VW1956 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 am

Hello. I work at a school catering for 3 to 18 year old pupils. At this time of the year all the departments have a clear out of unwanted items one of them being the Titanic educational pack which I posted about elsewhere. Now one of the books thrown out this year was "Titanic. An Illustrated History ". I couldn't believe it when I was told that there was a book about Titanic in with the rubbish books. I took it back to the library and asked the head librarian why has it been discarded. She said that as it had only been booked out twice in the 11 years they have had it then it should make way for other books. I can see her point but this is ( I think) one of the better books on Titanic. I still think it was wrong to get rid of this book. Ken.
VW1956

Re: A terrible thing.

Postby Dave Gittins » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am

Libraries are like that. They get rid of essential reference books to make way for chick lit. Sometimes I've got lucky at our local library. I picked up Ryan and Bailey's Lusitania book and a fine book about Belfast, including a lot on Lord Pirrie. They even sold off Groves' Dictionary of Music and Musicians, which runs to something like 20 volumes but I didn't know about it..

Part of the problem is that there are idiots who think the Internet can supply all the information we need. We even have local schools that have scrapped entire libraries. A pox on them!
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
Dave Gittins

Postby Aly Jones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:07 am

Did you keep the book, Ken?
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello Aly. Sorry I haven't replied earlier. I am just now catching up on the last two weeks. Anyway, Yes I have kept this book. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

No worries. Its a very cheap way in collecting Titanic books. ;)
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Hello. I got to see the librarian today and let her know what a big mistake she made in getting rid of this book. She has agreed to put it back on the shelv. It was got rid of because it had only been taken out a couple of times in the last 10 years. She did say that they do have 4 other books on Titanic still on the shelf but I told her that this book that she got rid of was one of the better books around. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Dave Gittins » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm

It's not just Titanic. Our local library has degenerated into a pile of chick lit, fantasy and other flim flam. There's precious little on the issues of the day or on history. Books that should be standard references are disposed of. It says much about the intellectual level of our times. :(
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
Dave Gittins

Postby joshua » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am

One thing I find is sad is that they threw any books of information away when there are people trying to pick up on what they can and educate themselves all over the world or schools and libraries that don't have enough money to fill their shelves with good books. They could at least donate the books to kids or schools that actually need them.
joshua

Postby VW1956 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello Joshua. The school I work at send about 50 boxes of printed books to a school in Gambia every year. Earlier this year 63 of last years computers were sent there. Ken.
VW1956

Postby shipbuilder » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:01 pm

At our local libraries, unwanted books are put in a book sale, usually for very low prices (20p) where they all sell!
But it is really a matter of what the individual is interested in. If I saw yet another TITANIC book in the book sale, I might flip through it, but is is unlikely I would buy it. But if I saw a copy of Shipbuilding & Shipping Record I would certainly buy it, but how many members of this forum would even bother to look in it? I continue to be amazed that the vast majority of TITANIC enthusiasts display zero interest in any other merchant ship or sea life in general, whilst coming out with an endless stream of theories about why it should not have happened!

Last night, my wife and I attended a TITANIC talk at the local library. On the table, there were loads of maritime books for the visitors to look at, including (much to my surprise) my own book "RMS St. Helena & The South Atlantic Islands." The head librarian pointed this out to everyone saying that the author (myself) was present. As far as I could see, no-one so much as flipped through it, and all it attracted was the odd blank stare!

Bob
shipbuilder

Postby Aly Jones » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 am

I would had spoken to you, Bob, if I was present there. I never knew (or at least slip my mind) you had written and published your own book. Congrats.
Aly Jones

Postby shipbuilder » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 am

It was a sociable enough evening, and after it, we all had a general informal chat, but I was aware that my book never changed its position on the table simply because of the fairly common assumption in the UK thaat the British Merchant Navy consisted of only Cutty Sark & Titanic!
It was published in 2006 by Whittles Publishing, Caithness, Scotland and sold out quite quickly, although there are lots of them still lying around on the internet!
Bob
shipbuilder

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications