Titanic educational pack.

Discuss Titanic Books here.

Titanic educational pack.

Postby VW1956 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello. I work at a school that caters for just about all ages from 3 to 19. This is the time of the year when various departments have a clear out of unwanted books etc. During a clear out of the prep school one of the caretakers found an educational pack to do with the Titanic. He gave it to me. There are a few booklets, a list of projects for the children to complete and a reproduction (of course) newspaper from 1912. Most of the information is on "floppy discs" which gives an indication as to how old this box of things are. There was also a newspaper cutting dated 1995 showing RMS Titanic people conserving items from Titanic. I now have to buy something called a floppy disc reader to see whats on the floppy discs. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Titanic educational pack.

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Ken it is nice to know schools are covering the Titanic Disaster now as when I was at school Titanic was never even mentioned. This has always been a major grievance with me as I was keen to learn about the disaster even back then. I did mention it to our history teacher and was told it was not on the sylabus and if I wanted to learn about that I would have to do that in my own time. Typical unhelpful attitude mind you she was not my favourite person anyway. Put it this way Ken she was not top of my Christmas card list!

I have always felt I have learned more about our history since I left school than I ever did when I was there. Our teacher seemed to be more interested in foriegn affairs than in our own country so things like the Titanic disaster and the Great plague of London were never covered at all. Since I left school I have updated my education by learning about these things by reading books and studying the internet. I now feel my history education at school was a waste of time. My friends from the charity shop where I work are now organising a trip to the Merseyside Maritime Museum to see their Titanic exhibition. I look forward to that as the Titanic is one of my passions.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Postby VW1956 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello Denise. They never mentioned Titanic when I was at school either. Mind you I am so old it seems like I was at school not long after Titanic sank. Sounds like you are planning a real nice day out. Any idea of when you might be going. I am heading North soon and will get to the maritime museum. Ken.
VW1956

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi Ken I am not sure of a date yet but I know it will be next month when the children have gone back to school as it won't be so crowded then. A funny thing has happened today. About eight months to a year ago I entered a competition on here to win a copy of the book The Lost Voices From The Titanic. As is usual of my luck I didn't win. However on Thursday my friend at the charity shop said I've had these books donated and there is a book on the Titanic you may have already read it but I will bring it to the jumble sale on Saturday to show you. Well she brought it today and it is the same book I didn't win in the competition. So now I have it and it didn't cost me anything. So I guess I was meant to have that book after all!!!
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications