Titanic Love Stories

Discuss Titanic Books here.

Titanic Love Stories

Postby Dave Gittins » Thu May 24, 2012 5:54 am

This is a book by Gill Paul and it's one for the romantics. It tells the stories of 13 honeymoon couples who travelled on Titanic. Their fates varied greatly, as did their degrees of fame. Their social status also varied widely, from the Astors to the Irish emigrants John and Kate Bourke. Many will find their stories moving.

The book is well illustrated and many of the pictures will be unfamiliar. There are numerous sidebars with information about off-topic subjects, such as Captain Smith, Titanic's medical staff and Californian.

The book is an Australian/Chinese production and is better produced than the average paperback, with endflaps containing information about the book and its author. Bruce Beveridge is credited as an advisor. The author has a web site with links to book sellers. http://www.gillpaul.com/ There is evidently a hardback version available also.

Regrettably, the book is marred by a few errors, in spite of Bruce's help. They include the notorious incorrectly captioned photo of Olympic's officers, inaccurate casualty figures and inaccurate information about the a la carte restaurant. However, the book is generally accurate.

Lovers of the human interest side of the Titanic saga will love this book. Watch for the extraordinary tale of Lucian Smith Jr's adventure in 1966. You couldn't make it up!
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
Dave Gittins

Re: Titanic Love Stories

Postby Aly Jones » Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am

This Is up my allie, I have to get this book. Love Is one of my Interest board the Titanic.

PS- I have also taking a liking to the 2nd book.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby George Lorton » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 am

I need to read this as the only Honeymoon couples I am aware of are the Lucian P Smiths and the George A. Harders. Did anybody know that George Harder middle name was a Achilles? I always thought that was so awesome, Achilles make a grand middle name I think.

Geo~
George Lorton

Postby Aly Jones » Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Before Dave's thread,I knew of 12-13 honeymoon couples board the Titanic, though, I do not remember any of their names apart from one.

Mrs Smith, 2ndclass? returning back to America from honeymooning in Europe, her husband Mr Smith perished In the disaster. Its very sad.
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Aly Jones wrote:This Is up my allie,

Hello Aly. :D
VW1956

Postby Dave Gittins » Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Reading this book, I think it leaves no excuse for movie makers to inflict fictional characters like Jack and Rose on us. The ship was full of romantic tales, made more moving by the fact they were true. There were scandalous stories too, involving mistresses, which are mentioned in the book. Anybody got a few hundred million?
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
Dave Gittins

Postby Aly Jones » Sat May 26, 2012 2:20 am

Dave so right. A Big IF' What a great movie to see real life love stories on Titanic' on the big screen.

There were scandalous stories too, involving mistresses, which are mentioned in the book.

Affairs and cheating men back in 1912? wow, Its very weird,I seem to always think that men never cheated back In those days.

Hello Aly. :D

Hello Ken! :D
Aly Jones

Postby Greenwyvern » Thu May 31, 2012 4:49 am

I picked up this (Hardback) book about two months ago on the bargain shelf at Barnes & Noble for 9.99 U.S. Very good book. The story of Helen Bishop and her husband has always interested me. A fortune teller told her she would survive a ship wreck then an earthquake but a car accident would kill her. All three happened and Helen's personality was changed by the car accident (head injury....steel plate...etc.) resulting in a divorce from Dickinson her husband. It seems they had a perfect marriage before the car accident. She did finally die of the head injury when she slipped on a rug and fell. Dickinson suffered all his life by being a male survivor of Titanic. He was accused of putting on women's clothing to get a lifeboat.

Why would Cameron make up fake characters when in reality there was so much material to work with is beyond me.
Ger
By a route obscure and lonely
haunted by ill angels only.
Greenwyvern

Postby Aly Jones » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:55 am

What a sad way to end her life, poor women.

13 honeymoon lovers and many more happily married couples on board and he choose fictional characters.
Aly Jones

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications