Titanic comic books

Discuss Titanic Books here.

Titanic comic books

Postby Greenwyvern » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 am

I think there are lots of "graphic" comics and Jack & Rose themed comics out these days. I haven't read any of them but do see them while browsing in B&N, Hastings, and other book stores. What I would like to know though is how many comics dealt with the Titanic before its discovery. I know of Weird Mystery Tales #2 (1972) and Uncle Scrooge McDuck #295. I'm a little old for comics but have to admit I used to love the "Strange Tales" type comics back in the 50s and 60s. I have the two I just mentioned and one other (I can't remember the title). Does anyone know of others? Leave out the religious genre.
Thanks GER
By a route obscure and lonely
haunted by ill angels only.
Greenwyvern

Re: Titanic comic books

Postby VW1956 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:46 am

Hello Greenwyvern. So what was "Weird Mystery tales #2" and "Uncle Scrooge McDuck #295" about. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Greenwyvern » Thu May 03, 2012 6:18 am

Hey Ken....I will dig them out tomorrow and let you know. It has been years since I actually looked at them but I think I do know which collection I have them stored in.
Greenwyvern

Postby Greenwyvern » Fri May 04, 2012 5:07 am

Well Ken I haven't found the Mystery comic yet. Packed away somewhere. I did find the Uncle Scrooge and another one where Godzilla sinks the Titanic.
Seems Godzilla was trapped in the iceberg and when big T. hit it he broke out. As for Scrooge he is running from a zombie and ends up on the Titanic. Here is a pic of Godzilla battling the Titanic.
Greenwyvern

Postby bwormst » Fri May 04, 2012 5:24 pm

You didn't know Uncle Scrooge was on the Titanic?

Here's a synopsis (my copies really handy:

This is a part of Don Rosa's much longer "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck". The Titanic bit is fairly short.

Scrooge is in the midst of making his millions, and decides to return to Duckburg to see his sisters, and show them the Candy Striped Ruby he's just bought. (as an aside, Scrooge is being chased by Bombie the Zombie for a number of years). A character named J.J. (easy to figure out who this is supposed be) wants to by the Ruby. Then, the ship hits the iceberg, and Bombie is on it! Bombie chases Scrooge around the ship.

We see the Band, the ship tilting up, then someone pulls Scrooge into the lifeboat. Bombie the Zombie goes down with the ship. (Since Bombie is a zombie, he doesn't breathe, and is able to walk across the bottom of the Atlantic to be-devil Scrooge later).

All within 2 1/2 pages! When you read this segment, it appears the Titanic sank in about 5 minutes. But, Don had to compress a lot, since he was doing Scrooge's life from birth up to the 1960s. Don did say it was hard to play up the funny aspects, while downplaying the disaster itself, and the horrendous loss of life. Not to menion, Disney (the owners of the characters) would not want to show or mention almost 1500 people dying.
bwormst

Postby VW1956 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Hello. Well I just checked my passenger and crew lists and I cant find any body named " Bombie the Zombie ". Ken.
VW1956

Postby bwormst » Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Did you check the most complete list in "Report into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Reappraisal"? ;)

<shameless plug>

Other people on the Titanic you won't see on any list - Sherlock Holmes, Doug and Tony (from "The Time Tunnel") and probably dozens more.
bwormst

Postby Greenwyvern » Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Ken, you won't find Bombi the Zombi on the passenger list. He came aboard as a stowaway hiding in the Mummy's case.
You will find McDuck listed in the kennel manifast.
Ger
Greenwyvern

Postby SOSTITANIC » Sun May 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Don't forget Phineas Bogg and Jeffrey Jones Omnied onto the Titanic and removed the Mona Lisa back to the basement where it was found and returned to the Louvre. ~Joyce~
SOSTITANIC

Postby VW1956 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Hello Greenwyvern. I just noticed that you are a "misplaced texan inthe USA". I have spent many a vacation in Texas in a place called Odessa. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Greenwyvern » Mon May 07, 2012 3:07 am

Hello Ken, yes I am a Houstonian currently in central Arkansas. My Dad is in a nursing home here and I will be here until.....the inevitable happens. I grew up here but spent most of my adult life in Houston. Really miss the city. Really miss Texas.

Still haven't found the Weird Mystery comic yet. I forget what part the Titanic plays in the plot. I will stumble across it again rummaging around in boxes at some point.
Ger
Greenwyvern

Postby Greenwyvern » Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 am

Ken,

Better late than never I guess. I found the Weird Mystery comic. It is the Sept. Oct. 1972 issue. According to “Destiny” (the undead person who tells the stories in Weird Mystery) it is a true story. Ok wink, wink. The story goes like this:

The Baldwins sail on the Titanic with their 5 yr. old son Gary. The mother and father are lost but the kid survives. Before putting young Gary into the lifeboat his dad tells him to always stay away from water because he father and grandfather both drowned at sea.

Flash forward to a few scenes of Gary barely escaping death on a skating pond and a swim in the sea. He finally realizes his dad was right and vows to stay away from water.

Flash forward to the 1950s. Gary is a successful playwright when he discovers one of his plays is to be produced in England. Rather than take the Queen Mary he decides to fly.
Of course the plane crashes in the sea but Gary survives. He is floating alone and can’t hold out much longer when suddenly he sees a large iceberg. Half imbedded in the berg is a life preserver from the Titanic. This saves his life but no one believes his story about the life preserver. He decides the curse is over and starts enjoying the water on a sail boat. But alas, it was not to be. On April 15, 1951 a rogue wave swamps several boats one of which Gary was on. He is lost. All the newspapers carry the story of how a Titanic survivor died on April 15 at sea.

In pops Destiny again with these words, “Fate, chance, predestination-call it what you will-but remember one thing….this story was true! It really happened.”

Guess we had better check our passenger lists to see if there was a Mr. and Mrs. George Baldwin and child on the list. Have to say details in the story are pretty accurate as far as names, times, dates, and so forth go. Except the stacks are red, white, and blue and Capt. Smith is Capt. Edward V. Smith instead of J. And most of the characters are dressed like it is 1940-50 instead of 1912 (not to mention Capt. Smiths beard is gone).
Greenwyvern

Postby VW1956 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello Greenwyvern. Thanks for that story. It does sound not too far out. I can except the wrong colour funnels and the wrong period dress. But a captain with no beard!!! That makes the story so unbelievable. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic and Maritime Books and Publications