A Night To Remember

Discuss Titanic media here.

A Night To Remember

Postby Rose » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:19 pm

I love this film too but only have it on video so it doesn't get a lot of play.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.
Rose

Re: A Night To Remember

Postby Worthington » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I actually think this is much better then the James Cameron version. True his version did have specatular special effects but the way of telling Titanic's story in A Night To Remember, especially by not adding a rather cliched love story of rich girl falls for poor boy by rejecting her 'society', makes A Night To Remember more special to me.
Worthington

Postby Dave Gittins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm not mad on either movie but one thing I like about ANTR is it's in black and white. This gives a better impression of what it was like on board during the sinking than Cameron's garish lighting.

For a real hoot, watch the 1943 German movie. It's worth seeing just for
Madeleine Astor's hat. It's now on YouTube, with English subtitles.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby jerauf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm

For a real hoot, watch the 1943 German movie. It's worth seeing just for Madeleine Astor's hat

The striptease is also pretty great.

black and white. This gives a better impression of what it was like on board

I don't understand your statement, Dave. Reality is color. So, the black and white gives a false impression of what it was like.
jerauf

Postby VW1956 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm with Dave on the black and white being better although maybe the word " better " is not the right word. But it somehow makes the film more to the period. I to found the striptease good but have no idea why. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Rose » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Perhaps like Schindler's List it makes it more authentic?
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.
Rose

Postby VW1956 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Never watched Schindlers list but you could be right. I got "A Night to Remember" on dvd for just £5 at I think Virgin or one of the bigger stores so it was new plus you also get 30 minutes on the making of ANTR. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Matuatay » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 am

>>I don't understand your statement, Dave. Reality is color. So, the black and white gives a false impression of what it was like.<<

I think Dave's statement was more toward the lighting in Cameron's film, vs it actually being filmed in color. And it's true, there was far too much light during the sinking scenes in 'Titanic'. Cameron stated himself that he added extra decklights so his actors would show up better. This is common practice in filmmaking.

A Night To Remember being shot the way it was, and in black & white, really helped sell how dark it was that night. In Cameron's movie, one could swear there was a full moon out there because it was so bright during the boatdeck scenes. Even after the lights had gone out and the ship was standing on end, the lighting gave the effect that there was a full moon, especially with that bluish tint. I always felt that S.O.S. Titanic also suffered from the filmmakers overdoing it with the lighting in some scenes. Thus far, in my opinion 'Titanic' (1996 mini-series version) is the only color Titanic film that didn't overdo the lighting in some way or another during the night scenes.

I have to agree with Dave that there's something about ANTR being black and white that makes it just seem more authentic. Maybe it's because there was no such thing as color photos/video in 1912, so when many people think of Titanic, they think of it in terms of b&w. At times, Cameron's movie feels almost present day with everyone just wearing old-style clothing. Of course, script and dialog might also have something to do with that.

As always, opinions will vary.
Matt.
Matuatay

Postby Worthington » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 pm

VW1956 wrote:I'm with Dave on the black and white being better although maybe the word " better " is not the right word. But it somehow makes the film more to the period. I to found the striptease good but have no idea why. Ken.
I also agree, there is something to be said for the life breathed into Cameron's movie being in color but there is something far more dramatic and tense about a movie of this quality being in black and white.
Worthington

Postby lmtitanic » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 pm

My last oil painting of the same name as the movie. 120 x 80 cm. I hope
good enough and the film.
lmtitanic

Postby andy w » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 am

in 1912 life was in black and white for third class only, they couldn't afford color :lol:
Seriously though, I love both movies. As much as I know J.C's Titanic goes way into the fiction category, i still think its amazing. The effects and the little things he used in the background. Even little things like lines here and there that most movie goers wouldnt even tink twice about but we all know to be based in reality. It's just such a great movie. And as for the love story that so many seem to hate, i have two thoughts on that. One is that i dont mind sitting through a love story to be able to see such a great movie based on something im sort of obsessed about. And two, i think that as far as love stories go, it happens to be a really good one. I love Kate W. and think Rose was an awesome charecter.
On a weird side note. EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch Titanic I have dreams/nightmares relating to the Titanic for several nights following it. The only other time that happened to me was wheni was a little kid and that mini series Holocaust was run on TV.

Typo's and all,
Andy
andy w

Postby joshua » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 am

Black and white does give a nice affect as far as it being of 1912. However, the lights really did make the Titanic look better even if she wasn't lit as bright that night. I like A Night To Remember better because it just seems wrong for the 1997 version to show the in reality kind individuals (such as Astor and Gracie) as snobs. ANTR portrays the human drama much more accurately which I think is the most important thing to show. However, I have to give Cameron credit because his movie sets were beautifully accurate and showed you pretty much what things looked like in 1912.
joshua

Postby pat toms » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

A night to remember is to see history replayed from the book by cyril lord who researched the story,the film was advised by a chap from n.ireland in fact from bangor co down where i live and a house where he lived has a had a plaque put on it recently also simpson the second ships doctor on titanic has his name on a gravestone in bangor abbey,and in the film a night to remember my grandfather was portrayed holding a child in his arms the last time was seen by a witness,who relayed the information to my grandmother,and ultimately to me,before my grandmother died she gave me a copy of the night to remember,the book,which i must confess I did not read,I have got more copies of the book but have not read them either,however i have seen the film several times.Also i have met a man who came from conlig a small village just up the road from bangor who was one of the people who was in the film and got a large sum of money for doing the scenes.A memorable film to be sure.
pat toms

Postby lmtitanic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 pm

BW Drawing inspired by Water Lord move A Nigh To Remember.
Attachments
TITANIC 22.JPG
Marko LULIC Drawing
TITANIC 22.JPG (28.87 KiB) Viewed 9131 times
lmtitanic

Postby VW1956 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Hello IMtitanic. Wow. I cant believe that thats a drawing. Titanic looks very real and the sea looks stunning. Ken.
VW1956

Next

Return to Titanic Movies, Music, T.V., and D.V.D.s