A Night To Remember

Discuss Titanic media here.

Re: A Night To Remember

Postby lmtitanic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Yes, drawing. As i know there is no known photo of TITANIC like this dwaving is.
The next one is oil on canvas.
Attachments
framed resize light.jpg
A night to remember
framed resize light.jpg (187.94 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
lmtitanic

Postby Wilhelm1407 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 am

This movie is my favorite movie of all time! I love how the book and the movie are all strictly based on facts.
It tells the story of the Titanic in a way that Cameron's film just can't.
I spent the whole day yesterday making a modernized fan trailer for it.
I'm kind of proud of it because it's possibly some of my best editing. :)

Wilhelm1407

Postby Dave Gittins » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 am

Don't get carried away with ANTR. The book and the movie are at least as inaccurate as Cameron's flick. Walter Lord was even taken in by a phony crew member. The launching scene is all wrong and many of the characters in the film are composites. A funny bit is the depiction of Sylvia Lightoller. Sylvia was actually an Aussie and spoke accordingly. She was mildly disabled by a club foot. No sign of that in the movie. Lightoller was nothing like Kenneth More, if you've ever heard him speak. Then there's the antique who plays Cyril Evans. We had to forgive the depiction of the sinking, as at the time it was generally believed the ship sank intact.

One thing I do like about the movie is it's in black and white. I think this gives a far better idea of what it was like on deck during the sinking. Overall though, book and movie are outdated.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
Dave Gittins

Postby jerauf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 am

Don't forget the inaccuracies in the sets. A whitewashed grand staircase? Or the costumes. The men are all sporting hair slicked with Brill cream.

I love the film. But there are things that were known to be facts at the time that would have been simple fixes.
jerauf

Postby joshua » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:35 pm

jerauf wrote:Don't forget the inaccuracies in the sets. A whitewashed grand staircase? Or the costumes. The men are all sporting hair slicked with Brill cream.

I love the film. But there are things that were known to be facts at the time that would have been simple fixes.

While the sets were indeed inaccurate and there were more things inaccurate than named (such as a short 1st classDining Saloon and inaccurate chairs), I at least would like to compliment their attempt to be true to the ship and would like to say that the sets and props were more accurate than a lot of other movies made about the ship. The only movie with more accurate sets and props is the 1997 version.
joshua

Postby jerauf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:56 pm

My list was by no means meant to be exhaustive.

That was done here:

http://www.paullee.com/titanic/antr1958goofs.html
jerauf

Postby Gail » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm

I was just watching "The Making of 'A Night to Remember'"which came out in the 1990s. It's interesting because there are some clips of Joseph Boxhall and Sylvia Lightoller (the real people not the actor and actress).
Gail

Postby Aly Jones » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 am

J G Burdette wrote:I was just watching "The Making of 'A Night to Remember'"which came out in the 1990s. It's interesting because there are some clips of Joseph Boxhall and Sylvia Lightoller (the real people not the actor and actress).

Would you have a link etc.. YouTube? please. Thanks.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby Gail » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Aly,

I couldn't find one. The documentary is with this collection: http://www.criterion.com/films/521-a-night-to-remember

Among other things there is a 1962 Swedish documentary (with English caption) which contains an interview of two or three passengers. Haven't finished it yet, but it is fascinating nonetheless. Forgetting their names at the moment, but they are mother and two daughters. One of the daughters didn't remember anything about the sinking but the other did as did the mother.
Gail

Postby Aly Jones » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 am

Sounds so interesting, thank you... Going to hunt that 1990 remake of NTR with bonuses. I never knew they made a remake.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello Aly. I dont think it is a re-make of the actual film but it had been released on dvd with 30 minutes of how the film was made. It was interesting in that we learnt that the scenes in the water were filmed in Ruislip Lido which is very much inland being in North London. The ship scene in A Night to Remember was a liner soon to be scrapped in Scotland. Students were employed to paint the white liner black to look like Titanics hull. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 pm

That's right, Ken, it traces the making of ANTR (although the one I seen was 60 minutes(?)). I thought it was funny/curious how they doused the actors and actresses before sending them off on their swim. It looked as if they had a fun time throwing buckets of water at one another.
Gail

Previous

Return to Titanic Movies, Music, T.V., and D.V.D.s