Titanic: Breaking New Ground [was: Unknown documentary]

Discuss Titanic media here.

Titanic: Breaking New Ground [was: Unknown documentary]

Postby domgray » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi, hoping someone can help...
I am a teacher and I am trying to locate a documentary I saw about 1998-2000 which was really good and wouldn't mind showing my students.
I can't remember what it was called but I can remember that there was a male narrator and it featured clips from the 1997 Cameron movie.
In particular it looked at how Cameron picked the cast which resembled the real people and it discussed how accurate the film was by showing
how Cameron used photos of the time (e.g the boy playing with his Dad on the deck using a spinning toy). It also showed how the main boss
in the engine room heated his tea from the steam...

Sorry its not much to go on but hoping someone can help.
I don't think it was the heart of the ocean documentary.

Many thanks
domgray

Re: Unknown documentary

Postby Gail » Wed May 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Possibly this was "Ghosts of the Abyss"? But it was released in 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Abyss-Bill ... B0001DMQ6C
Gail

Postby domgray » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm

I ve had a look on YouTube and its not ghosts of the abyss, thanks for taking the time to reply though
domgray

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 am

I think the documentary you are searching for is "Titanic - Breaking new ground". However, not everything there is accurate. The scene showing chief engineer Bell warming up his soup is not based on any source. (There was most likely a stoker in one of the boiler rooms who did that.)
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Dave Gittins » Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 am

The soup lover was Frederick Barrett.
Dave Gittins
Author of Titanic: Monument and Warning
http://titanicebook.com
Dave Gittins

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Sun May 12, 2013 2:09 pm

I am not sure if it was really Barrett. The story came from Lawrence Beesley and personally I think that it was most likely another stoker who told it to him.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Aaron2010 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Lawrence Beesley mentioned the soup in his book.

'........at any rate the stokers in our boat had no such illusion. One of them, I think he was the same man that cut us free from the pulley ropes, told us how he was at work in the stoke-hole, and in anticipation of going off duty in quarter of an hour, thus confirming the time of the collision as 11.45, had near him a pan of soup keeping hot on some part of the machinery; suddenly the whole side of the compartment came in, and the water rushed him off his feet. Picking himself up, he sprang for the compartment doorway and was just through the aperture when the watertight door came down behind him, "like a knife," as he said; "they work them from the bridge." He had gone up on deck but was ordered down again at once and with others was told to draw the fires from under the boiler, which they did, and were then at liberty to come on deck again. It seems that this particular knot of stokers must have known almost as soon as any one of the extent of injury. He added mournfully, "I could do with that hot soup now," and indeed he could. He was clad at the time of the collision, he said, in trousers and singlet, both very thin on account of the intense heat in the stoke-hole; and although he had added a short jacket later, his teeth were chattering with the cold. He found a place to lie down underneath the tiller on the little platform where our captain stood, and there he lay all night with a coat belonging to another stoker thrown over him and I think he must have been almost unconscious. A lady next to him, who was warmly clad with several coats, tried to insist on his having one of hers, a fur-lined one, thrown over him, but he absolutely refused while some of the women were insufficiently clad.'

Aaron2010

Postby domgray » Thu May 16, 2013 9:58 am

Ioannis Georgiou you are a GENIUS! "Breaking new ground" was the one I was looking for! Thanks so much, my class will be pleased they won't have to write all lesson! Thank you
domgray

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 pm

No problem domgray! Your are welcome. However I don't think I am a genius.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Aly Jones » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 pm

It also showed how the main boss in the engine room heated his tea from the steam...

Did this really happened? :shock: No stoves?
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Return to Titanic Movies, Music, T.V., and D.V.D.s