Saving Titanic, Great Show on PBS!!

Discuss Titanic media here.

Saving Titanic, Great Show on PBS!!

Postby George Lorton » Wed May 02, 2012 3:17 pm

I got to see Saving Titanic last night about what happened in the Engine room during the sinking and I got to say this was one of the best shows I have seen about Titanic in quite a while. The show focuses on the Engineers and Electricians on the titanic and tells of the sinking from their perspective. I thought it was well done.

You can watch it here.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2218303251
George Lorton

Re: Saving Titanic, Great Show on PBS!!

Postby VW1956 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 am

Hello George. I also watched this programme and thought it was good. Great time on tv when just about every day there was something on tv about Titanic. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Greenwyvern » Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 am

Yea, the hard drive on my DVR got a workout that week. I enjoyed that docudrama also. GER
By a route obscure and lonely
haunted by ill angels only.
Greenwyvern

Postby George Lorton » Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Ken and Ger, I thought the show was well done and nice to see the sinking from the Engineer's perspective. The link will take every one to PBS where they can watch the full episode.

Geo~
George Lorton

Postby nboal » Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I saw that show as well. It was great. Many times, people forget the men who labored inside the ship to keep it lit and floating as much as possible, without regard for their own lives.
nboal

Postby Pat Kistler » Fri May 04, 2012 2:05 am

have that episode recorded to DVD
Pat Kistler

Postby George Lorton » Sat May 05, 2012 5:39 am

That is why I liked this show as it was a fine tribute to the men of Titanic Engineering.
George Lorton

Postby joshua » Sun May 20, 2012 11:47 pm

I loved it. It's pretty accurate from what I can tell and I'm glad the unknown story of the engineers and other heroes in the engine room is finally being told.
joshua

Postby Aly Jones » Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 am

I always had felt that the electricians / engineers in the engine room were the true Heroes of the titanic disaster.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby mr.floot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Is this available to watch online in the UK? I can't watch that link
mr.floot

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am

Watched it and thought it was pretty good overall. This docudrama could really stir an interest in the engineering department in people who have no interest at all in this aspect of the Titanic.

Also, I don't know if it was intentional but did anyone else notice how the characters seemed to match the appearances of the real people's photos?
Gail

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

I was very disappointed. It includes many mistakes and confirms many legends. As with a few other shows which were shown in 2012 you think that you get the story as told by survivors but in many cases it is far from the truth. For example, Dillon and Barrett working together. Not possible, Barrett was in BR No. 6 and Dillon in the main engine room. Barrett sleeping with the normal stokers. Also not true. The bunker fire was shown wrong as the collision. Dillon get drunk with alcohol & Barrett is still on board, BR 5 is flooded at 1.30 a.m. and he went to BR 4.
By that time Barrett was already sitting save in lifeboat No. 13 and BR 4 was given up at 1.20 a.m.
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Wow. Wasn't aware of all that. Also the one I seen must be a cut version. I was reading up on it afterwards and there are pieces that were "missing" from the docudrama. Like what you just mentioned now about Dillon being drunk. And elewhere someone said that it opens with Barrett at the inquiry whereas the one I seen opened with a lifeboat drill.
Gail

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I think it is running 90 minutes. It was last year in TV in Germany and I saw the long and a shorted (45 min.) version of it! I honsetly can not remember but I think it opned with the Inquiry. What I remember well are the many mistakes! By the way, the "lifeboat drill" was also shown wrong!

Much worse is "Inside the Titanic". They had nearly everything wrong there!
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Gail » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I'll have to remember that about "Inside the Titanic".

Grrr...It sounds like I missed a big chunk of "Saving the Titanic". For all its inaccuracies it would have been nice to see the full version. While watching it I noticed that some things seemed to happen without explanation. Owing to the missing parts, no doubt.
Gail

Return to Titanic Movies, Music, T.V., and D.V.D.s