Titanic. The Shocking Story.

Discuss Titanic media here.

Titanic. The Shocking Story.

Postby VW1956 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello. I just read from another thread that something called "Titanic. The Shocking Story" is being released today. So if you love a conspiricy story then this could be the one to get. Ken.
VW1956

Titanic The Shocking Truth

Postby frydawg » Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that saw the documentary Titanic The Shocking Truth. I just saw it and find it hard to believe. I've known about the supposed Olympic/Titanic for years and information contained in the documentary didn't seem quite right to me that hopefully someone here can help to clarify.
In the documentary it said the Olympic's keel was broken in the collision and as a result had a permenant list to port. I don't remember reading any where that the Olympic had a broken keel. Also stated in the documentary was that Lawrence Beesly noticed the Titanic had a list to port when he boarded but I don't recall any statement like that anywhere in all my reading.
The documentary claimed they used a propellor blade from the Titanic to fix Olympic after she dropped a blade after she struck an underwater obstruction off the Grand Banks and that's why there is a 401 on the starboard propellor blade sticking out of the mud on the wreck. I thought that Olympic lost a port prop blade and that it was the starboard prop that was visible on the wreck. I don't remember the source now but i thought I read somewhere the Titanic's propellors were slightly larger so they couldn't have interchanged propellor blades.
In The Shocking Truth it was claimed there were 18-22 rockets fired and they were red, white, and blue-don't know how they came up with that. It was also claimed that in the 1986 expedition there was an M and a P photographed on the bow where the name was but I've never seen any proof of that.
frydawg

Re: Titanic The Shocking Truth

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Mainly such conspiracy shows use the old wrong proven claims. The keel of the Olympic was not broken. The bow and ram of the Hawke did not go so deep enough into the Olympic to break the keel.
Regarding the port list, I think Beesley mentioned a slight list during dinner time. The list was most likely created by an uneven consumption of coal. [The coal bunker between boiler rooms Nos. 6 & 5 had been emptied on the starboard side because of a fire in that bunker.]
Regarding the propeller blade, the blades on Titanic were different the on Olympic and most likely would have not fit.

The last statement is more a lie then any truth. The name on the wreck was filmed in 1987 not in 1986 and also not by Dr. Ballard but by IFREMER & Titanic Ventures.
There is a still from the "wreck footage" on this side for example http://www.vincelewis.net/titanic.html. You have to scroll down and as you sure will notice it is a very bad computer animation and none original wreck footage which you for example can find here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wKaTNLBc1Q
Ioannis Georgiou

Re: Titanic The Shocking Truth

Postby Eric K. Longo » Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello, Hi Ioannis,

Ioannis is right on all counts, not to mention all the verifiable and marked Olympic paneling.

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: Titanic. The Shocking Story.

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Tue May 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Eric! :)

I think this conspiracy nonsense will find no end! :roll:
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby frydawg » Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks Ioannis, that's what i was thinking. The documentary said Beesley noticed a list right after boarding but it makes more sense that he would have felt it after the coal bunker was emptied because of the fire. I figured there would be enough differences between Olympic and Titanic that it would not have been easy to fool crewmembers that had served on Olympic then on Titanic.
frydawg

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Oh yes, there were exterior and interior differences between the Olympic and Titanic. Even Olympic was made to look similar to Titanic, there were several things which remain the same on Olympic from 1911 till 1935. The wreck on the bottom show clearly all the changes made on Titanic, like the front wall of the wheelhouse (which was curved on Olympic until the refit end 1912) or the Suites on B Deck, the additional pillars on D Deck (something Olympic never get), the blue and red floor tiles of the 1st class smoking room and many more....

I would recomend this book which list many of the differences between the two ships; http://www.amazon.de/Titanic-Olympic-Wh ... +ship+sank
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby frydawg » Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm planning on getting that book. I've been interested in the Titanic for 20 years but I'm just now starting to get into the whole cospiracy theory.
frydawg

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 pm

frydawg wrote:I'm planning on getting that book. I've been interested in the Titanic for 20 years but I'm just now starting to get into the whole cospiracy theory.

Some people did not say conspiracy theory, they call it fantasy! ;)

The bad thing is, if you did not know much about the ship and one of your first book is about it, you will most likely believe it.
However I can only recommend the book "Olympic or Titanic - Which Ship sank"!
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sat May 18, 2013 12:57 pm

The photo of John F. Kennedy visiting his own grave in a wheel chair is more believable that this trash.

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby frydawg » Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I never personally bought into there being a switch but seems like with everthing there are people that will try to make something out of nothing. Some of what they were saying in The Shocking Truth just wasn't making sense to me, I didn't think it was real and I wanted to make sure.
frydawg

Postby The Walrus » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Speaking of conspiracy theories, a friend posted this to my Facebook Wall last week...
Attachments
ConCap.png
Edited slightly for anonymity/to please the easily offended.
The Walrus

Postby Aaron2010 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 am

So sad, and why do people always believe the sinking of the Lusitania brought America into the war? It had nothing to do with the ship (which sank more than 2 years before America even joined in). President Wilson won another term in office six months after the Lusitania sank, because he promised to keep America out of the war. His campaign slogan was, "He kept us out of the war." I wish these guys could learn some history.

Aaron2010

Postby The Walrus » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Aaron2010 wrote: I wish these guys could learn some history.

It would be a start...
The Walrus

Postby wruth03@aol.com » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I have just watched a documentary called Titanic Conspiracies with Bernard Hill. It covered the so called switch with the Olympic. It was said the two ships were practically identical but that is of course rubbish there were marked differences between the two ships. Actually Ioannis Fantasies pretty much sums up this theory. I looked at the you tube piece and I could clearly make out an A. To all the conspiracy theorists out there there is no A in Olympic.
Denise
wruth03@aol.com

Next

Return to Titanic Movies, Music, T.V., and D.V.D.s