Adriatic on movie film.

Discuss the White Star Line here.

Adriatic on movie film.

Postby VW1956 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 am

Hello. In the mid 1920's a man named Claude Friese Green travelled from Lands End to John O'groats in a 1924 Vauxhall motor car. For those of you on here not familiar with the topography of England (and Scotland) that was a journey from way down South to way up North. There is about 3 hours of footage to watch. What was a nice surprise was when he got to Liverpool he did a small piece of filming from the deck of RMS Adriatic. There is even a few seconds showing Captain Beadnell in all his splendour. What makes this piece of movie interesting is that it is in colour. The narrator mentions that Captain Smith who once captained the Adriatic also captained Titanic. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Adriatic on movie film.

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

This looks very much like the film Ken's referring to;

All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Postby Eric K. Longo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

That could easily have been Mauretania!

Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello Andrew. Well done. I really have no idea how to do links so all I could do was tell the good people on here that it existed.

Hello Eric. Yes it could have been. It's a shame that Claude Freiese Green didn't pan his camera around a bit quicker so to get more of the ship. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:36 am

Hi Ken,

It's a very good sign. More and more is turning up...the Autochromes, the 1903 color film, not this reel...there will be more yet.

Eric :)
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 am

Hello Eric. I have said many times on here that there must be thousands of pictures of all the big steamers yet to be discovered still hidden in peoples lofts. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 am

The captain reminds me of captain smith. '1920's that would mean that captain would had been around in Smith's time and era. It's really hard for me to picture captains with beards apart from EJ Smith in early 1900's. What was this captains name? I wonder if this captain knew captain Smith?

Old films always struck me and catch my attention, especially films showing a ship that was built just after Titanic. I throughly enjoyed it.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby VW1956 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello Aly. The captains name in that short piece of film was captain Beadnell. I would have thought that they may of known of each others exsistence but to actually meet which means there ships would have had to be in the same port at the same time I would have thought unlikely. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm

It is possible that Smith and Beadnell met at some point. (When Smith was in comand of the Adriatic, Beadnell had the Majestic.)
Ioannis Georgiou

Return to White Star Line