White Star Line trade with German shipping lines?

Discuss the White Star Line here.

White Star Line trade with German shipping lines?

Postby Aly Jones » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 am

The Olympic class liners actually had a bit of German influences etc....cranes,Gymnasium ,Pianos, floor tiles (I found this out by a German member IG and George on another thread' didn't want to go way off topic so I started a new thread here)

Just wondering' did the White star-line and Harland & Wolff offer a trade for those said German equipment?

'this is true right? I had heard that Britain built ship funnels for German ships and I am wondering was this a trade for all the German Cranes, Gymnasium, pianos, floor tiles which the Olympic class liners received?
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Re: Whitestar line trade with German shipping line?

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Aly Jones wrote:Just wondering' did the White star-line and Harland & Wolff offer a trade for those said German equipment?

Hi Aly,

I think it was more that Harland & Wolff were looking where was the best stuff to get, like the Gymnasium equipment from Wiesbaden, in Germany.
Ioannis Georgiou

Re: White Star Line trade with German shipping lines?

Postby MAB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Aly Jones wrote:I had heard that Britain built ship funnels for German ships
Just funnels? Funnels for German ships built in Germany or for German ships built in Britain? Whichever it was, where did you hear this?
MAB

Postby Aly Jones » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 am

I think it was more that Harland & Wolff were looking where was the best stuff to get, like the Gymnasium equipment from Wiesbaden, in Germany.

Yes I am very aware that German made products are one of the best' even today ;) Well yes that would be a more logic answer buying the best stuff for WSL ships. Its a pity H&W never asked the Germans too build water tight bulkheads for their ships.

Just funnels? Funnels for German ships built in Germany or for German ships built in Britain?

Funnels built in Britain for German ships.

where did you hear this?

The very first Titanic documentary I ever saw (which is very old' when channel E came out on cable TV in Australia)
The one thing from that documentary that stand out in my mind which my memory has not forgotten is that the British supplied funnels for British ships and German ships while the Germans supplied German equipment etc...Gym equipment for German ships and British ships. Like it was a partnership or something started from 1910 when the Olympic class liners were first thought of. Possible be full of bollocks! I'm fully aware how documentaries can be full of bollocks.
Aly Jones

Postby MAB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Funnels for German ships built in Germany or for German ships built in Britain?
MAB

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 am

German ship funnels built in Britain visa versa' British ship cranes built in Germany. The old program could had meant that the German ship funnels were used with British plans and British ship cranes were used with German plans but built in their own countries. I don't know.

My memory is shot' I possible missed the mark with this one. And H&W AND WSL not any interests of mine.
Aly Jones

Postby MAB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 am

Aly Jones wrote:German ship funnels built in Britain
Funnels for German ships built in Germany or for German ships built in Britain?
MAB

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 am

Funnels for German ships built in Britain (funnels only)
Aly Jones

Postby MAB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am

So, "funnels built in Britain for German ships built in Germany" is what you mean? Which ships were these and why did their German builders need or want British-built funnels?
MAB

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 am

Yes that's what I meant.

No I don't know If this ever happened. It was mention by a documentary years years ago. I asked in my first post that did the two shipping companies were in a partnership of some kind. But I am gathering that the said documentary is wrong because there is nothing about this on wiki or anywhere.
Aly Jones

Postby MAB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 am

And it makes no sense.
MAB

Postby Aly Jones » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

I even heard that the person who filmed the olympics bow & captain smith while olympic was docked in NewYork was a German. I don't know if there is any truth to it but that's what I had heard. Since WSL was in competition at transatlantic passage with Germans I can't see this ever happening.
Aly Jones

Postby MAB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Aly Jones wrote:I even heard that the person who filmed the olympics bow & captain smith while olympic was docked in NewYork was a German.
Where did you "hear" this? And, even if the individual was "a German," what significance would that fact have?
Since WSL was in competition at transatlantic passage with Germans I can't see this ever happening.
As I've told you numerous times over the years, most recently last Wednesday, Hapag and NDL were not truly independent of IMM, as they were tied to it by a profit-sharing agreement.
MAB

Return to White Star Line