Books about White Star Line?

Discuss the White Star Line here.

Books about White Star Line?

Postby jharvey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 am

I was visiting some book stores today, and was surprised to find no books about the White Star Line, especially with the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic just around the corner. :|

Anyway, all this typing leads to one question: do any of you know good books about White Star Line (not about the sinking of the Titanic, already have enough of those :D ) and if so, where could I find them?
Thanks!
jharvey

Re: Books about White Star Line?

Postby MAB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 am

If you're primarily interested in White Star's ships, the best is Richard de Kerbrech's Ships of the White Star Line, a wonderful compilation of individual ship histories and pictures with an introduction to each chapter that sets the ships in their historical context. It's still in print (I think) and should be available through Amazon. (de Kerbrech's book, IMO, makes the previous standard, Duncan Haws' Merchant Fleets: Volume 19 White Star Line, redundant; de Kerbrech is better written, more thorough and far more accurate.)

For company histories, the two best are long out of print and quite pricey when they appear on the used book market. They're Wilton Oldham's The Ismay Line (a combined corporate and family history) and Roy Anderson's White Star.

Others (in no particular order) are Paul Louden-Brown's The White Star Line: An Illustrated History, which is not nearly as comprehensive as de Kerbrech (many ships are not mentioned at all) but is magnificently illustrated and worth reading just for that, and Jeanette McCutcheon's White Star Line: A Photographic History.

Narrower in scope, but a personal favorite, is Jack Eaton and Charlie Haas' Falling Star, which deals with what they describe as the "misadventures" of various White Star ships.
MAB

Postby jharvey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Thank you so much for that list! I'll go hunting on Amazon for the first one you mentioned.
Last edited by MAB on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator's note: Edited to remove unnecessary quote-back of entire preceding message. MAB
jharvey

Postby Suburban Gal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:37 am

Don't see Robin Gardiner's paperback The History of The White Star. It's not necessarily a page-turner, but the pictures are good and the information is accurate. Someone interested in shipping history would find this book interesting enough to maintain a focus.

Illustrated books are good, MAB pointed out a couple already. Another one to get is Patrick Mylon's The White Star Collection: A Shipping Line In Postcards.
Suburban Gal

Postby MAB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Suburban Gal wrote:Don't see Robin Gardiner's paperback The History of The White Star.
The omission was deliberate. That's a very strange book, written almost as an indictment of White Star and Thomas and Bruce Ismay in a tone that's often snide and sarcastic. Yes, there's a lot of information in there, but I don't recommend it; the books I mentioned in my first message are much better and present a much more balanced picture of the company and its principals.
Another one to get is Patrick Mylon's The White Star Collection: A Shipping Line In Postcards.
I've only just heard of this one in last few days, so I can't comment on it yet. Once I get it, I'll update my comments here.
MAB

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm

You can try buying White Star Line books here;

Patrick Mylon Books
All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Return to White Star Line