The American Line

Discuss the White Star Line here.

The American Line

Postby pat toms » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 pm

I would be interested in the History of the American Line, as it does have a connection with the Titanic, inasmuch that J.Pierpoint Morgan, owned both companies or had controlling shares in both shipping companies, as far as i can ascertain, and for some reason did not sail on the Titanic's maiden voyage? Also the fact that my Grandfather was a Quartermaster on the SS Philadelphia of the American Line before being transferred with 4 other members of the ship U.S Mail workers, my Grandfather did not have to pay the fair as money was owed to him, from the line. The whole story could not even be contrived, but is interesting.
pat toms

Re: the american line

Postby pat toms » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I should have mentioned that my Grandfather Lionel leonard was Transferred to the Titanic with 4 other members of the SS.Philadelphia, to the Titanic because of the first national coal strike in Britain and the coal was transferred from the Philadelphia and put on the Titanic. As far as information goes all five members drowned.
pat toms

Re: the american line

Postby MAB » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 am

Pat, there's a very good history of the American Line, written by William Flayhart and entitled (appropriately enough) "The American Line, 1871-1902," which covers the history of the line from its creation up to the formation of IMM.
J.Pierpoint Morgan...for some reason did not sail on the Titanic,s maiden voyage?
Morgan's annual trip to Europe typically didn't end until early summer at the earliest; Titanic's maiden voyage took place much earlier than he was in the habit of returning to the U.S.

I think the statement that Morgan cancelled a booking on Titanic "at the last minute" is likely not correct.
MAB

Re: The American Line

Postby pat toms » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Mab thanks, for the information about the book of the American Line all I have to do now is find the book, also the information about J.P.Morgan and his missing the maiden voyage of Titanic.
pat toms

Return to White Star Line