Titanic lifejacket and railing join Reagan Library exhibit

The latest Titanic news items and press releases appear here.

Titanic lifejacket and railing join Reagan Library exhibit

Postby Andrew Clarkson » Sat May 06, 2017 7:11 am

SPRINGFIELD -- Artifacts from the Titanic Historical Society Museum in Indian Orchard will be featured in an upcoming exhibit at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley, California.

A lifejacket worn by the young widow of one of the richest men in the world and a railing section from the doomed White Star liner, which sank on April 15, 1912, will be featured in the Reagan Library exhibit. The RMS Titanic struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage, killing 1,517.

Titanic society president Karen B. Kamuda, widow of the society's co-founder, Edward S. Kamuda of Ludlow, will attend the May 25 preview at the Reagan Library. (The exhibit runs May 27  through Jan. 7, 2018.)

"It is a thrill and honor for me as president and our historian, Don Lynch, representing the Titanic Historical Society and part of its collection to be at the prestigious 'Titanic at the Ronald Reagan Library' exhibit," Karen Kamuda said. "Ed Kamuda's dream to preserve Titanic's history that began so modestly in Indian Orchard in the 1950s when so few had any interest, would be very happy.
"
She added, "Yes, I am excited to be going, I wish Ed was joining me. I know he is smiling down with his 'thumbs up.'"

The 105-year-old lifejacket worn by survivor Madeleine Talmage Force Astor is one of the most prized treasures in the society's impressive collection.

Madeleine Astor, then 18, was the second wife of John Jacob Astor IV, 47, and five months pregnant with his child at the time of the disaster. He saw her safely board a lifeboat, but he died in the sinking and his body was recovered at sea a week later.

Read more; http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/i ... brary.html
All the best,
Andrew Clarkson,
Webmaster,
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/index.shtml
Andrew Clarkson
Site Admin

Return to Titanic News