Atlantic Daily Bulletin.

Discuss Titanic Clubs and Societies here.

Atlantic Daily Bulletin.

Postby VW1956 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Hello. Recently received the latest edition of "the "Atlantic Daily Bulletin" the quarterly journal of The British Titanic Society. If your not a member then I can highly recommend you become one. The only down side to reading this journal is each quarter you get a potted history of a White Star ship. Starts off well goes through all the ups and downs of the ships life. This edition featured the S.S. "Cedric". During the ten very informative pages you get to feel for this ship but then as always the end of the article is here. After reading what a wonderful ship the Cedric was we read the last line "was reduced to scrap by the cutting torch of the shipbreakers". It always ends like this. It's all a bit sad really. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Atlantic Daily Bulletin.

Postby pat toms » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Ken,the story of the cedric is like the story of the titanic it always finishes up the same,except that the titanic is still there in pieces but you can still go there.
pat toms

Postby MAB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:04 pm

pat toms wrote:Ken,the story of the cedric is like the story of the titanic
How?
MAB

Postby VW1956 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello. I think what Pat means is that it has an unhappy end either by fault or design. Ken.
VW1956

Postby VW1956 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello. The latest issue of the "Atlantic Daily Bulletin" has a nice article by Karen Jarman (Youth Officer British Titanic Society) on a visit she and members of the Belfast Titanic Society made to areas conected to Titanic. One thing that certainly surprised me was that after a visit to Nomadic the visitors were allowed to remove wood and metal bolts that had been fitted to Nomadic and were now in a skip. Would have thought that these items could have been sold to help with restoration costs to Nomadic. Apart from that it sounded a very busy visit with lots plnned every day. And good news is it seems the concrete car park that was laid over the slipways is to be removed. Ken. (envious).
VW1956

Postby pat toms » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Ken, Although I live just down the road from the slipway that the Titanic went down, it is no longer visible I now see that the concrete is to be removed which covered the slipway, this work would have been more important than the museum, and would not have been so costly.
pat toms

Postby VW1956 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:24 am

Hello Pat. I think you are so lucky to live near to where Titanic began her life. I also realise that I am lucky to live near to Southampton. Is there any thing at all left of the Arrol gantry? Ken.
VW1956

Postby pat toms » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Strange you should ask that question I have a video of the old gantries with some ships in it, the gantries were pulled down ages ago, there may have been some pieces of it still left, however I have not seen or heard if this is the case, I was told that the gantries were a mess owing to pigeon droppings, I will ask him if or when the gantries were pulled down, just as a point of interest.
pat toms

Postby VW1956 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Hello Pat. I think the Arrol gantrys were demolished in 1972 but I could be wrong. I guess back then although it was such an important piece of Titanic and White Star history it was just scrap metal. But today things have changed. There is for sale two little pieces of the Arrol gantry one is £40 and the other is £45 so any of the Arrol gantry still left for scrap I would say is now worth a lot more as souviniers. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic Societies