In the Abyss: The First Phase

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

In the Abyss: The First Phase

Postby BryanI305 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:36 am

Hi, everybody.

When I was a kid I read Ballard's book on the discovery of the Titanic (for those wondering, this was before the craze in '97). One of the very first images I encountered has also been the one picture that has truly spoken to me about the tragedy of the Titanic sinking. It was an illustration from a French magazine, according to Ballard's caption. The image itself depicts the Titanic, still intact, at the bottom of the ocean. Above it is a fantastically enormous iceberg. It's a haunting image that evokes what I feel is the illustrator's awe and fear of what nature had been able to do to mankind's greatest achievement.

The title was in English, and it read: "In the Abyss: The First Phase." I've been attempting to find this image in the highest possible quality, as I wish to blow it up into a poster size to hang in my office. I've scoured the Internet without any luck. I contacted the company which lent the image to Ballard for the book but the representative I've been conversing with seems to be unable to locate it in their digital files. I figured, if anyone knows where I can find a decent copy, it would the enthusiasts.

So I come to you, good folk, in the hopes that you could help me out. I've even included a picture I took from the book so that there is no confusion about the illustration in question. Thank you all in advance.
Attachments
image.jpg
In the Abyss
BryanI305

Re: In the Abyss: The First Phase

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 pm

The drawn was made by Henry Lanos and was published in "The Graphic" 27th April 1912. I don't know if or how you can get any modern copy of it.
Ioannis Georgiou

Re: In the Abyss: The First Phase

Postby BryanI305 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:12 am

Thank you, that was very helpful!!
BryanI305

Return to Titanic Collectables