Watermarked photographs and copyright?

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Watermarked photographs and copyright?

Postby JBIsmay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Hello I wanted to ask this question..

When a person finds a photo of Titanic etc online or even buys it, it's ok thay they have a right to say it is from their collection. The copyright does not transfer to them though does it? Some people watermark them and it takes hours to remove the watermarks. I just wish to save copies of public photographs of a well known ship for myself, not for selling just to add into my own collection.

So why do some people add a copyright logo and a watermark to such images of Titanic? I was barred off the facebook Titanic group today for asking this! I think this is not fair as I was only asking questions, would like to hear from some of you on the question I asked above please.

Henry.
JBIsmay

Re: Watermarked photographs and copyright?

Postby Gail » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello Henry, I think that if someone owns a photo and they decide to share it on the internet then they have every right to watermark their photos. There are way too many unscrupulous individuals who would gladly steal their work, claim it as their own and gain in some way (monetarily or recognition). By the way, does Gregory Dean know you're using his photo as your profile photo? He might be flattered and he might not. Just a word of advice.
Gail

Postby Ioannis Georgiou » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Did I see it right that you want the images to can make money out of them like here; http://www.2made.co.uk/auctions/uncateg ... -the-tyne/
Ioannis Georgiou

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 pm

I know the group in question.

Firstly, you came onto the group dictating what collectors who search and pay for these items (and not your so-called right-click-and-save images off the internet) should do with their own physical collections and how you expected them to be displayed online for what you called taking them while complaining that watermarked images were taking you a long time to clean them up because of the watermarks. You even repeat your concerns above about how "it takes hours to remove the watermarks". You shouldn't be doing it - FULL STOP.

And secondly. Why was you removed from that group? Well, you had a fake account, openly admitted to taking peoples collections and profiteering from them.

Oh, before the OP pleads innocent, people of this group may want to check this little gem out from him:

http://www.2made.co.uk/auctions/uncateg ... -the-tyne/

Not to mention the gloves salvaged from Titanic, all 200 of them. And found in a lavatory in the wreck:

http://www.2made.co.uk/auctions/uncateg ... st-switch/

You say you are from Nottingham, yet list yourself in Mayfair, London (a millionaires mansion) while hiding behind another fake profile and avatar.
Jonathan

Postby Gail » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Henry, see, Ioannis has posted a great example of a very corrupt piece of marketing. Beware there's all sorts out there!
Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Ioannis, now how about the gloves. They look to be in good condition considering. Bet they still have the "Made in China" tag inside too. :)

Has anyone even read the description for the gloves? It just now caught my eye - "These gloves were recovered from inside a lavatory adjacent to room B-52. According to our experts, this is likely due to a last-minute effort by frantic passengers to flush items away, in order to lighten the load on the ship during the sinking".
Gail

Postby MAB » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 am

Hmmm...the seller's address for the photo, 15 Hill Street, Mayfair, is Bruce Ismay's London home, where he died in 1937.
MAB

Postby Gail » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Mark, there was a posting about this seller on here a couple of days ago but when it was brought up on another discussion and linked back the author apparently deleted it from here. One of the names being used on the auction is "Bartholomew Ismay".
Gail

Return to Titanic Collectables