Titanic auction April 20th.

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Titanic auction April 20th.

Postby VW1956 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 am

Hello. There are some really impressive items up for grabs (if you have lots of money) this Saturday. The most important (I think) is the letter written by Wallace Hartley to his parents. It is written on "On board Titanic" note paper and is dated April 10th. Also is a letter from his parents to Wallace which was found on his body when recovered from the sea. There is also the Wallace Hartley & Miss Maria Robinson Archive. It really should be called the "Maria Robinson" archive as all the items although impressive belong to Maria. I might be wrong there as there is a cigar case and I wouldn't have thought that Maria would not have smoked cigars. There are two photographs of Captain Smith which I have never seen before one of which shows him without his hat on the other he is leaning on a pole near a lifeboat ship not named. The deck behind him is crowded with passengers. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Titanic auction April 20th.

Postby VW1956 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 am

Hello. There are some real nice things to adorn your home in the sale. There are a number of original panels from Olympic in Walnut Satinwood from stateroom C86. There is also the outer door and some panels from parlour suite C62. These items are from the Marquis of Granby dispersal sale 14. 4. 2000. Lot 115 is my favorite item being from Olympic a cast iron deck bench of the style seen on Titanic. Other nice items are lot 156. A photograph taken prior to the premier showing of "A Night to Remember" on December 16th 1958. The image shows 13 survivors of the disaster. This lot also has a photograph of Forth officer Joseph Boxhall watching the film. I thought lot 204 an oddity it being a dinner menu from Britannic dated 25th September 1916. This is just 6 weeks before Britannic sank. I thought it odd because as the ship was doing war work they still took the trouble to print menus of the type usually found in peace time. Lot 256 is a letter written by Captain E J Smith to his daughter whilst onboard RMS Baltic dated 29th November 1906. It shows a family man side to him. The main lot of this sale is the letter written by Wallace Hartley. A local museum has raised approx £5,000 in the hope of buying this letter. They are in for a disappointment. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic Collectables