Titanic auction coming soon.

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Titanic auction coming soon.

Postby VW1956 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello. The next Titanic auction held by Aldridge and son is happening on November 24th. I know I keep saying this but if you want to see some really rare items then be there. Among the items up for sale is the sextant owned by Captain Arthur Rostron and used onboard the Carpathia on April 15th 1912. First class stewards badge and keys recovered from Frederick Warmold. An onboard letter written by William Stead. An extremely rare 1st class menu from Titanics first lunch April 10th 1912. Dont think I will be bidding on any of these. Ken.
VW1956

Re: Titanic auction coming soon.

Postby VW1956 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Hello. I now have the auction catologue for the upcoming Titanic auction at Aldridges. Among the many items for sale is a photograph showing 13 survivors taken proir to the premier showing of "A Night to remember". Some photographs from Millvina Deans personal collection. An amazing "scrap" book put together by 1st class passenger Richard May dating from the 1860's through to the 1920's. This a very special scrap book. Some of the items in this book include letters signed by Lord Pirrie. A ticket to attend the launch of Olympic. Letters from Thomas Ismay. A ticket to the launch of Mauretania. A ticket to the launch of Aquitania. The scrap book has over 700 pages. It was from this book that the 1st class menu which is also in the sale was taken. It seems that the notes written by Captain Maurice Clarke mentionng the lack of lifeboats are to be sold one page at a time. Hopefully the same person will buy all 5 pages. One item for sale which is a bit different is a photograph signed by the crew of Apollo 13. It says "To Millvina, Best wishes from another survivor". There are 369 lots and most of them are extremely rare items. I really cant wait. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 pm

"...A ticket to the launch of Mauretania..."

Well, I have one of those at least. :D Ken, is it large, pink and thin or small, thick and beige? This is the 4th such ticket I have seen in 12 years.

Best,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello Eric. The auction catologue does not have a picture of the launch ticket for Mauretania as it is part of the scrap book with 700 pages :shock: . But I will ask when I get there as they are very helpful people. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am

Hi Ken,

that would be great to know. I have seen two types of M launch tickets, one of the smaller card type and two larger thinner sheets (one in the Discovery Museum, one on offer online and the engraved card type I have). Mr. Aldridge was very helpful authenticating some stuff from C-76 I think it was. Have a good time!

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 am

Hello Eric. I did not see the Mauretania launch ticket although I did look at about 500 of the pages in the "scrap book :o ". There was a man there with his wife who were looking through the book. He said he was the great grand son of the man who put the scrap book together. He said that he did not know this book exsisted until it turned up in the sale. He wanted to know who put it in the sale but that was privy information but he was hoping that whoever it was would be at the auction. His wife told me that her and her husband had driven the same route that the O'dell family had driven after they had left Titanic. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Ken,

thanks for the report! That is a shame - it sounds like the man whose Grandfather assembled the book is a little in the dark :( Wonder how is came to the sale in the first place.
Did you see that 1960 video I sent you? It is wonderful :D

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello Eric. I haven't seen the video yet. Is that via e-mail? I just realised that I haven't mentioned a few of the items that went under the hammer yet. It's Sharons fault keeping me too busy at home getting yet more christmas decorations out. If it dont rain tonight I will be risking life and limb putting a small scaffold up the front of the housr to make that christmassy. Ken.
VW1956

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 am

Hi Ken,

Yes, I think my last email. I sent you a link to watch the film of the 1940 General Motors exhibit we were talking about with the scale cars of the future (1960). I bet your carpentry and related skills come in handy during the holidays? I've given up with lights. One year I will just burn my house down, but before I do I want to decorate by jumbling the holidays. Folks are not used to seeing a large rabbit at Christmas, or snowmen for July 4th. :D Gotta keep it interesting.

Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby VW1956 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Hello Eric. Really sorry. I meant to reply to you that I have now seen the video you sent via e-mail. Wonderful stuff. And when that finishes there's all sorts of similar things to see. Rabbits at christmas and snowmen on July 4th, I do like the sound of that. Ken.
VW1956

Return to Titanic Collectables