Amy Bracelet

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Amy Bracelet

Postby Shaheed » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:18 am

Hello everyone,

I did a quick search and did not find a topic here regarding the owner of the Amy bracelet. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if you could point me in the right direction I would be more then happy to read what has been posted.

I was recently at a Titanic Exhibition here in Houston, Texas and one of the first pieces to really draw me in was the Amy bracelet. It reminded me that this person really did exist and it made me wonder how she got the bracelet, was this her favorite bracelet, what it must have meant to her. I did some searching on the internet and only came up with a short article stating " The Amy diamond bracelet, carries the name “Amy” on it, which refers to one of the two passengers on RMS Titanic, Ms. Amanda or Amelia " I also read somewhere that there was a a stewardess named Amy on board however it was never believed it belonged to her.

In any case, I am looking forward to seeing what others have to say about the bracelet and if someone else has done some research on who this belonged to before it ended up at the bottom of the ocean.

~Shaheed
Shaheed

Re: Amy Bracelet

Postby George Lorton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Shaheed,

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the Amy Bracelet belonged to Richard Beckwiths. I want to say I read it in Exploring The Titanic by Dr Robert Ballard, but I am not for sure on that as this was ages ago. Like you I thought it was interesting that the bracelet belonged to someone and I wondered who Amy was. I thought she might of been Mr Beckwith's mother.
George Lorton

Postby Shaheed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:45 am

George,

Thank you for the reply. I will look into this. I was a bit surprised no one had a lead on this famous and wonderfully made bracelet. Not sure what the fascination is in wanting to know. It belonged to someone and I want to know what happened to this person.
Shaheed

Postby VW1956 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:31 am

Shaheed wrote:Not sure what the fascination is

Hello Shaheed. The fascination of it is that besides the fact that it came from a passenger who was on Titanic it is a fabulous piece of jewelery. :D. But you and a million other people would like to know who it actually belonged to. It is amazing that something so small got found in the mayhem down there. Ken.
VW1956

Postby George Lorton » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Shaheed wrote:George,

Thank you for the reply. I will look into this. I was a bit surprised no one had a lead on this famous and wonderfully made bracelet. Not sure what the fascination is in wanting to know. It belonged to someone and I want to know what happened to this person.

VW1956 wrote:
Shaheed wrote:
Not sure what the fascination is

Hello Shaheed. The fascination of it is that besides the fact that it came from a passenger who was on Titanic it is a fabulous piece of jewelery. :D. But you and a million other people would like to know who it actually belonged to. It is amazing that something so small got found in the mayhem down there. Ken.

Hi Gents,
I was a kid and curious like kids are. I think I was 10 or 11 when I read about it either in The Night Lives On or Her Name Titanic.

You have a good point Ken, I was fascinated too that the Safe was still there. I remember watching a show on History that was on the Persia which was torpedoed during WWI, supposedly there was a great deal of Jewels on board. sadly the ship was cut in two to get at those jewels by salvagers.

When ever I hear about jewelry on sunken ships I think about the Persia which was cut in two to get at the ships safe. What upsets me is that we know every little about how the ship sank and now we won't be able to find anything new out because the ship has been cut to shreds to get at those jewels. now those jewels weren't doing anybody any good in that wreck and nobody seems to be interested in the Persia but still it's a crying shame she was torn up like that to get at those jewels.
George Lorton

Return to Titanic Collectables