1912 New York Times Newspaper Sinking of Titanic, dated 4/16

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

1912 New York Times Newspaper Sinking of Titanic, dated 4/16

Postby briantmartinez » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:48 pm

The headline reads:

"Titanic Sinks Four Hours After Hitting Iceberg;
866 Rescued by Carpathia, Probably 1250 Perish;
Ismay Safe, Mrs. Astor Maybe, Noted Names Missing"

This was passed down to me from my great grand mother this paper sells on ebay for about 10k she also left me so other newspapers as well. Call or text if you have any questions or suggestions on how to go about selling these items thanks 321-443-5924

The front page of the paper features a partial list of the survivors.

The 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Titanic just passed this April! This would be a perfect collectible to celebrate and remember this epic voyage.

Interestingly, there is an advertisement on page 20 of the newspaper for the Cunard Line for trips on the Mauretania and Lusitania.

The newspaper is in Excellent condition. The newspaper is COMPLETE! This is an original paper!

There is some darkening along edge and center fold and in some images, and very mild yellowing.

This is Vol. LXI., No. 19,806. Original cost of the newspaper was One Cent. There are 24 pages.

ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED. No worries about offending me. Offer what you are willing to pay, and I'll let you know.
Attachments
$(KGrHqRHJE!E88YlIO89BPWRyfi7SQ~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqRHJE!E88YlIO89BPWRyfi7SQ~~60_12.JPG (45.03 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
briantmartinez

Re: 1912 New York Times Newspaper Sinking of Titanic, dated

Postby Eric K. Longo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am

Hello,

"No worries about offending me." - OK, good :)
Why is the image of the Titanic so severely degraded and missing so much data compared to an original and why is the headline text stronger and sharper than an original? Why does the ink look brown? How was this stored?

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: 1912 New York Times Newspaper Sinking of Titanic, dated

Postby briantmartinez » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey im sorry about that i got those pictures from the internet i will post the original one as soon as i get home.
briantmartinez

Return to Titanic Collectables