RMST Tulloch 1996 Big Piece Recovery Tix Invitations

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

RMST Tulloch 1996 Big Piece Recovery Tix Invitations

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 am

Hi All,

I have the following items related to The Big Piece, its initial recovery and loss if anyone is interested; all are original, unused, in excellent condition, minor yellowing to clippings etc, all signatures and handwritten notes are pre-printed. You can read about these events here: http://www.titanic-titanic.com/big_piece.shtml.
These materials were sent of by RMST and George Tulloch for the planned events around the recovery expedition and first public exhibition of The Big Piece. These events mutated and were ultimately cancelled or very different than advertised. The event in New York on September 1, 1996 was held, but without the then-lost Big Piece. At least one guest ;) was able to cancel at the last moment when the news broke that The Big Piece was lost in the early hours of August 30, 1996; hence these invitations exist. Other newly recovered items were apparently displayed.
All personalized letters, tickets, invitations etc. bear the name of a very minor liner researcher and collector.
Contact Eric K. Longo - magikbilly@yahoo.com

1) Various 1995/99 newspaper clippings about the Big Piece Recovery Cruise, the first announcement of coal for sale in late 1995, and the eventual display at Atlantic City of The Big Piece in 1999
2) The card sent out to notify recipients that a sample of coal is to be delivered
3) A 3 page letter from RMST/"Desk of G.Tulloch" regarding about the recovery expedition and cruise, April 3, 1996
4) A paper clipped 7 page letter "From the desk of George Tulloch" detailing the recovery, cruises and display in Boston, complete with 2 additional notes from Tulloch; one "handwritten", April 8, 1996
5) Large color postcard of the Titanic showing where The Big Piece came from on the Titanic
6) A scarce 52 minute color VHS detailing the RMST 1995/96 dives to the wreck and item recovery as well as early wreck footage
7) A map showing Lower Manhattan and the location of the Hudson River Club and where The Big Piece Reception would be held
8) Confirmation letter for New York Reception, August 16, 1996
9) Cruise/Expedition Invitation SS Island Breeze, August 23, 1996 - September 1,1996
10) Cruise/Expedition Invitation SS Royal Majesty, August 25, 1996 - September 1,1996
11) Confirmation letter for Boston Reception, August 31, 1996
12) Confirmation letter regarding The Big Piece viewing, September 1,1996
13) Invitation and ticket to the Hudson River Club black tie first public showing of The Big Piece, 11am-3pm, September 1,1996
14) A scarce page of related news describing in real time the subsequent loss of The Big Piece, printed live by an IBM in the early hours of August 30, 1996
Last edited by Eric K. Longo on Thu May 03, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: RMS Titanic Tulloch 1996 Big Piece Recovery Invitations

Postby VW1956 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 am

Hello Eric. Thats quite a list there. Thought it interesting when part of the text in the link says "corroded, buckled 86 year old steel weighs about 20 tons" the interesting bit being "86 years". How time flies as we have just had the centenary. Ken.
VW1956

Re: RMS Titanic Tulloch 1996 Big Piece Recovery Invitations

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 am

Hi Ken, :)

Yes, when I was pulling it all out I was surprised to see that "86" on one or other of the items - I wasn't expecting it. Time does fly - I recall thinking "wow, 25 years till the year 2000..." and poof - that's 12 years ago. The video is neat as the condition of the wreck and technology both show change. Good to see you here ;)

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Re: RMST Tulloch 1996 Big Piece Recovery Tix Invitations

Postby Eric K. Longo » Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi All,

Bumped for anyone interested. Offers welcome :)

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Sat May 19, 2012 7:42 am

Hey Ya Eric,

I wished I had the funds to buy such great Titanic authentic pieces. Maybe In a years time, I will have the funds to purchase your Items. At least I know where to find you Eric.

Cheers.
"Quit Ye Like Men, Be Strong"
Aly Jones

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sat May 19, 2012 9:16 am

Hello,

Well, thanks Aly. :) I would be happy with $100 plus S&H from any T-T member if that gives perspective. I'd like these things to go to a good home - my interest in Titanic is really a passing thing and I'd hate to slap this stuff up on eBay. I was thinking maybe I should have gone to the NY reception instead of cancelling, but the reviews (if you can find them) were abysmal. It appeared uncertain that anything from the wreck would be in NY and I could not see $500 for a reception of nothing. It is hard to believe it was 15 years ago.

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Sat May 19, 2012 3:25 pm

That Is a fair prize. And also,it Is nice you take care of your Titanic pieces and that you thought about us first. In couple of months I may be on better terms. See How I go.
Aly Jones

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sun May 20, 2012 12:05 am

Hi Aly,

Thanks! It has always been my concern - that the items I sell or represent go the the right loving hands. :D

Best wishes for a great weekend Aly,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Sun May 20, 2012 3:13 am

I would differently care for those titanic pieces which you love dearly (I would love them too)

In few months 'if things go too plan, and if you still decide to sell them (or you have any left) I would love to purchase one or two items from you.
Aly Jones

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sun May 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Aly,

I will hold the items and not put them up in eBay. You have no obligation of course. :D

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby Aly Jones » Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks Eric. I know you are not a conman, so what you are advertising I believe you own and in good Nick.
Aly Jones

Return to Titanic Collectables