Question about Titanic coal

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Question about Titanic coal

Postby smith_was_a_fool » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:07 am

My wife got me a piece of titanic coal brought up in the expedition in august of 94, but as i got to looking at the others on line i noticed mine was different. Mine has a bronze plaque that says "RMS Titanic Authentic Anthracite From The 1912 Maiden Voyage James Eszterhai" also the coal piece is about the size of a quarter which is bigger than most i have seen it came with a COA from RMS Titanic INC that reads the registration no and the date of may 09th 1996

"Be it known that; James Eszterhai has on this day and date, been registered by RMS Titanic INC. in the permanent museum log as conservator of Authentic Anthracite coal recovered from the research & recovery expedition of July/August 1994. then it is hand signed by George Tulloch president of RMS Titanic INC and Paul-Henri Nargeelet, Commander Ifremer French Oceanographic Institute"

I have never seen any personalized like this, and most are in a lil black box like this with the coa on the box it's self, any body have any info on why mine is so different?

here are some pics of what i am talking about
smith_was_a_fool

Re: Question about Titanic coal

Postby MAB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 am

That's a deluxe edition, which sold for a higher price.
MAB

Postby Eric K. Longo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:14 am

Hi there,

Yes, MAB is correct as usual. This was the first generation of coal released by R.M.S. Titanic. It was first advertised as available in late 1995 in newspapers. These were sold for $25 each originally. They now bring $75 to $100 or so - the coal is considerably larger than the smaller bits sold later it exhibits. The name on the acrylic base was to added to a wall in a museum that never was built. Every cert I have seen is pre-printed with the same date and item/artifact number.

Best wishes,
Eric
Last edited by Eric K. Longo on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby smith_was_a_fool » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks guys.. that completely makes sense.
smith_was_a_fool

Postby The Walrus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 pm

I acquired some recently - a little under 3 grams ground into pellets of about 1.5mm and placed into the shaft of a little glass anchor on a necklace - recovered from the 2000 Research & Recovery Expedition.
It cost £12.99 and comes with a COA from RMS Titanic Inc.

Anyone considering purchasing some, I advise against it. It has a really heavy vibe with it, and wearing it is hugely discomforting - so much so, that if ever I pass over the wrecksite, I'm putting it back. Only now that I own some of it do I agree that the wrecksite should be left in peace.
The Walrus

Postby Eric K. Longo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 am

Hello,

Yes. I agree. I found I don't really like showing my bit of the Lusitania wreck (it is steel not coal). It is just too sad an item. I only collected it because it was Mauretania's sister.I don't have so much a problem with coal.

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby The Walrus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Here's me Titanic Coal Necklace...
Attachments
Titanic Necklace.png
A little under 3 grams of coal from the wreck of the Titanic inside a glass anchor.
Titanic Necklace.png (438.26 KiB) Viewed 11415 times
The Walrus

Postby smith_was_a_fool » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 pm

I have never got an eerie vibes from my coal,but i probably would if it was something that belonged to a passenger or something like that
smith_was_a_fool

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 am

Hello,

In a way some of the coal is having a homecoming as a percentage of it started out in Pennsylvania.

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby The Walrus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 am

On my COA, it lists the exact mine from which it came. I'm not at home right now so couldn't tell you for certain, but I THINK it was "Seven Bells" Mine in South Wales.
The Walrus

Postby Eric K. Longo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 am

Hi Walrus,

I would love to know how that was established. Unless each bit was individually tested such a claim is dubious at best IMHO. I am guessing your COA dated 2000 is very different than those given in 1994.
Perhaps this is common knowledge, but tests conducted on the Titanic's coal recovered from the debris field in 1994 indicated that a percentage of her fuel was mined in the United States (apparently due to the strike and subsequent transference of coal from other ships). If I recall correctly, of the coal sampled there were some 5 or more geographic sources, including Pennsylvanian anthracite. Interestingly, the New York, the liner at Berth 38 with which Titanic had the famous near collision photographed by Father Browne, was temporarily out of service due to this coal strike. The New York was among the IMM vessels that contributed coal to Titanic so she could make her maiden voyage as scheduled - I find that quite ironic. Also contributing coal were the Majestic, Philadelphia, Oceanic, and St. Louis. So, at least some "part" of Titanic - some of her her fuel - factually originated on this side of the pond. The technical paper I linked to years ago at another site which had the data is no longer online.

Best wishes,
Eric
Eric K. Longo

Postby The Walrus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:56 am

It just says it on the COA - presumably the piece of coal from which these 100 necklaces were made was first tested before being divided. Ordinarily, I'd think it was dodgy, but considering the fact that not only it is from RMS Titanic Inc., but also that I spent some time scouring the net to exclude the frauds (you can actually buy slithers of pine from the Titanic wreck's deck - yes, PINE!), I can pretty much confidently say that this is the genuine article. Not to mention the "Vibe" that comes with it - that's something else entirely.

But your scepticism is understood - if not for the seal of RMS Titanic Inc., and a mention of the US Supreme Court, I'd never have parted with any funds.

Still - don't buy any. Or if you do, buy it so you can put it back. I've already got my eye on a half-inch lump for $45, which I think is around £30, give or take. Small price to pay for the dignity of something/some souls you give a toosh about.
The Walrus

Postby Atlantic1912 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 am

Eric K. Longo wrote:Every cert I have seen is pre-printed with the same date and item/artifact number.

Best wishes,
Eric

Hi Eric, Could it be that the pieces were of one large hunk of coal that was broken up for resale? Might explain why an artifact number is the same on several or all of the pieces.

Also, fascinating about the coal coming from the US. I don't think I heard of that.
Atlantic1912

Postby Eric K. Longo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Atlantic 1912,

You wrote
"Hi Eric, Could it be that the pieces were of one large hunk of coal that was broken up for resale? Might explain why an artifact number is the same on several or all of the pieces.

Also, fascinating about the coal coming from the US. I don't think I heard of that."

That is possible, but every 1994 piece, including the acrylic display and the more recent smaller bits sold in boxes at the various exhibits, all bear the exact same item number. I have never seen a certificate hand signed by either party. It is likely the coal was brought up in bulk quantity and simply assigned a generic certificate to accompany and augment the sale. This is America.

Best wishes,
Eric

P.S. - It is pretty well established that her coal, as any other ships coal preparing for the eastward crossing, was at least partially supplied by local New York sources such as Berwind-White. There was a detailed technical paper containing data establishing a minimum of five geographic sources of coal recovered from the debris field of the RMS Titanic.
Eric K. Longo

Postby smith_was_a_fool » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

The reason why the numbers are all the same is because it's from the same dive, and they were cataloged together.
smith_was_a_fool

Next

Return to Titanic Collectables