Question about Titanic coal

Discuss Titanic Collectables here.

Re: Question about Titanic coal

Postby Atlantic1912 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Eric K. Longo wrote:Hi Atlantic 1912,

P.S. - It is pretty well established that her coal, as any other ships coal preparing for the eastward crossing, was at least partially supplied by local New York sources such as Berwind-White. There was a detailed technical paper containing data establishing a minimum of five geographic sources of coal recovered from the debris field of the RMS Titanic.

Hi Eric, yes I was aware of the coal for the eastbound trips, but other than a vague recollection of the paper you mentioned I think I had forgot (or hadn't payed enough attention :oops: ) about the findings of the coal from the wreck.

I guess from what you said the article is no longer around?

Thanks
Atlantic1912

Postby Eric K. Longo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Atlantic1912 :)

Yes, the paper is gone. Read this thread here:
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/artifacts/18385-coal-titanic-3.html

The paper was named The Source of Coal in the Titanic and Effects of Exposure to Seawater from the Twentieth Annual Meeting for the Society of Petrology

Best wishes,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Postby Atlantic1912 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks Eric!
Atlantic1912

Postby The Walrus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Atlantic1912 wrote:
Hi Eric, Could it be that the pieces were of one large hunk of coal that was broken up for resale?

THat is correct. It was one piece of coal from the 2000 expedition which was then ground up and made into 100 of these necklaces.
The Walrus

Postby Eric K. Longo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 pm

The latest addition to my collection has Cunard officers bemoaning the quality of Eureka coal from Berwind-White/Pennsylvania and what it was doing to the works. I had a feeling they did not lug this stuff across to go back again.

Best,
Eric
Design/concept consultation. Digital images/restoration of prints & transparencies Examples: Chirnside's Olympic Class Liners, Maxtone-Graham's Normandie. Recently: National Building Museum, D.C. (U.S.) & The Segedunum Museum, Wallsend (U.K.).
Eric K. Longo

Previous

Return to Titanic Collectables